Monday, January 31, 2005

Blog on Demand 2

Joseph said I should write about "playing Star Wars ships." My son has two ships- a tie fighter that ejects its wings when you press the right buttons (to simulate being shot down,) and a Millennium Falcon, complete with flashing blue and red lights and roaring sound effects. We chase each other around the apartment, until one of us declares a "hit." The ship that's hit then crash lands (into either the couch or a pile of laundry) until its repaired- usually by some divine intervention of The Force. Other nights, we have duels with his plastic light sabers.



The greatest gift you can give your child is time. I wish I still had the imaginative perspective that Joe does. Someone once said that we adults are butterflies. We've forgotten what it's like to be caterpillars, and sometimes we make the mistake of thinking that our children are little butterflies.



When my (then) best friend Steve Whittaker & I were kids, we used to pose our action figures & Transformers and draw them in battle. I've tried to do this with Joe, but drawing is a bit frustrating for him right now. In the meantime, I'm just happy to spend time with him, though I'm sad he doesn't have a playmate that can better share his visions & enthusiasm.



Steve, if you're out there, drop me a note, would you?



TTFN

-Tony

No comments: