Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Illustration Friday. It's Tuesday... it'll be Wednesday in Half an Hour.



Once again, it's time for Illustration Friday!

This week's topic is Ancient. (Click on the above thumbnail.) This took a little bit of doing. It took a while to decide what I wanted to do. I sketched a few old men, but they all looked like shriveled versions of me. I tried drawing a few old men/trees, but they looked too much like Treebeard. So I decided to play with 3dsMax again.

This went through many different versions before I chose the one you see now. The face was originally a smooth, glowing crystal, with translucently visible teeth and eyeballs. However, this really did not jive with the "ancient" theme. There's a mountain range in the background, but I decided I liked the fog so high that you can't see it- two hours work down the drain. You also can't see the nebula in the sky, but that's just a bitmap. After rendering, I adjusted the image's levels and added a diffuse glow with Photoshop.

I was planning to do it as a pulp magazine cover, (I love my little rocket ship!) but I didn't want to repeat my "Year of the Rooster" Movie Poster shtick. Still, I'm sure there's a story in it lurking in my subconscious. Like most things there, I'm sure it's sick and twisted. Just the way I like it.

I know you're bored to tears, you don't want to work on that spreadsheet or do your final term paper- you want to look at the internet! Don't just come for the pictures, click here and check out my line of BS too. It's more fun than a human should be allowed!


-TTFN
Tony

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your ancient head is a good brain dripping, what planet is it on?

Anonymous said...

Your ancient head is a good brain dripping, what planet is it on?

Braidwood said...

I like it. It just made me very sad though when I looked at the bigger version. There were people there.. and now it's just an empty planet... gone...

Rebeccashane said...

This is interesting and very sci-fi... Like it!

Anonymous said...

yo Tooony, i jist saw yo pictuh anits good! I read yo bio anits also good. who loves YOU baby? ME! from the wife of a union goon outtin socal...go i.b.e.dubbleya! maybe weze meet yoos an da family some day outin MonterAY an catch a fish or sumpin.

some how folks think union employees need to talk like that, so what the heck. have a good one dude, you're awesome and the family is darling.

gotta go put the cement in the trunk, seee ya

Joe said...

I love sifi! Good job. Hav a good weekend!

Tony LaRocca said...

Hmmm… If I had to choose a real astronomical location, then I suppose it's on Charon- Pluto's moon- simply because I love the mythology aspect. If I had to pick a sci-fi planet for it to be on, I suppose it would be either Magrathea or Za'Ha'Dum, as they're both planets with ancient underground cities.

steve said...

That is awesome ! If I make a sci-fi movie I'm agonna look you up ! Sweet !

Anonymous said...

very unique ancient

french toast girl said...

Totally gorgeous, and yes, I love the rocket too. Bradbury would approve.

love, me