Monday, May 23, 2005

Tripping the Light Aquatic



The Illustration Friday word of the week is AQUATIC.

These are probably the ugliest creatures ever to infest the deep. Obviously, this has been layered in Photoshop. The background is from an Egyptian exhibit I sketched with my friend Iris at the Metropolitan Museum last year. I like underwater ruins. The creatures in the front are solely (get it? Sole-ly?) from my twisted brain. (My beloved wife finds the thing in the lower right hand corner positively obscene. I'll bet you didn't even think of it until I mentioned it.)

I took Joe to see Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith on opening night. We had a great time. Though he's seven, the burning-marshmallow-Darth-Vader-flesh bit didn't freak him out. What bothered him was D.V. hating and hurting the people who loved him. My Joe's such a sweet kid. Me, I loved it- except that I thought the Emperor looked so fake and cheesy when he became a Rubber-Face (and here I thought he was just supposed to be old in Return of the Jedi- and speaking of that movie, why didn't [SPOILER DELETED] Make Luke a Rubber Face too? Illogical, Captain!) I couldn't help but laugh. Palpatine becomes quite campy after that- especially the incessant cackling. They should have just left him the way he was. (In this geek's humble opinion.)

Oh well. Goodnight, all.

-TTFN
Tony

7 comments:

Rebeccashane said...

Nice drawing.. That is the reason that dark water scares me. I dont care if its the ocean or a pool... they are in there! ;)

steve said...

Oh, man. I luv underwater ruins! Your 'aquatic' beasties are killer kewl. I almost expect to see Cthulhu lumbering around down there in the murky distance. Those stilleto teeth on the first scaly thing are awesome !
BTW, in 'Return of the Jedi' I hated what Vader looked like, bloated and slack. At least he coulda looked ematiated and wizened, or maybe more integrated into the armor. Lucas has some odd choices at times.

Anonymous said...

love your critters, very creative! thought the wee one on the right was very cute until i read the post, spose it's a wee bit suggestive!
cheers,
kerry

Anonymous said...

Awesome drawing! Also thought wee one on right was cute until read post. Now wondering how obsene the one peeking from very bottom must be. Museums are great for sketching material!

JacqueLynn said...

Hi Tony, I love the texture you've got on the big creature, esp the teeth, It works really well against the background. The creature on the right was my favorite, then read your post, woops what's that say about me? I think this piece works great and is great fun to fall into. Best Regards, Jacque

Aravis said...

Great detail! This must have been fun to draw.

Baroness Von Wolfengeist said...

I've always been fascinated by what lurks in the deepest darkest regions of the ocean. I like your wicked looking fishies.