Monday, July 25, 2005

Sorry It's Been So Long

Sorry it's been so long (hey that sounds like a great idea for a title.) But things have been very topsy-turvy around here.

For those of you who've been here since the beginning, the Penguin Electric saga has come to an end. Yep, I've been given the boot, laid off, kicked out the door, whatever you want to call it. My crime? Agreeing to work at 2am- but expecting to get full compensation for it. Not to toot my own horn, but in seven months, I've missed only one day when Jen had to get an MRI. I've never been late, always given the bastards a full days work, even when they weren't paying benefits & my checks bounced. But if you stand up for yourself (and I've called the union throughout this nightmare on all Mr. Penguin's shenanigans) you have to go. The sad thing is, I'm sure the other poor bastards in the shop are going to think twice before saying "no" when the boss tries to screw them. (I know, that was the POINT.)

"But these things aren't supposed to happen in Local 3," I hear you cry. Well, these things DO happen if the other guys in the shop agree to let the boss screw them over. It creates an underclass- those who allow the boss to cheat them without saying a word get to keep their jobs, & those who say, "no, I actually expect to get PAID for my time" get the boot. As I was laid off, I get to collect unemployment & my supplementary fund, so I guess I'll look on it as a vacation until the union gets me another job. I get to spend time with the wife & kids, get my shit together as they say.

While I'm at it, I want to make an adventure game. Why the hell not? I have a million projects I'm working on, so why not a million and one? Maybe get some extra $ going.

So anyway, that's it. 'Till later…

TTFN!
-Tony

6 comments:

nin said...

Hey !!! wonderful background....
first time in ur site....
its cool buddy....
take care...

isay (Marissa) said...

i was wondering actually and also thought-there might be somethin' goin on in your place.

i also received an e-mail with the same news from a friend back home.
Just one thing I told him-we don't lose ourselves only our jobs!

Anonymous said...

Same thing happened to my husband on Tuesday! He is also working on a million projects right now - good luck :)

Just Me said...

maybe if i lose my job i'll get some of the projects i started done! but that just wouldn't be right...not having half started projects...

steve said...

It's mr. penguins loss, dude. Maybe you should work for NASA and teach them how to build spacecraft that actually work properly !
:-D

Tony LaRocca said...

Tape, man. Duct tape will hold anything.