Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Time for Tony's Movie Reviews

I saw War of the Worlds with my friend Rob last night (NOT a Joey movie!) I could go on about what I liked & didn't like, but what really hit me was the depth of the disgust for humanity Spielberg seems to have. Yeah, I know- it's more realistic- we probably would be rioting and killing each other for any tiny advantage if the world was to come to an end- but still it shocked me. I'll leave the "Earth is Iraq & the murdering Martians are the US Army" interpretation to the nut jobs.

I've always felt that the popularity of disaster movies comes from our secret collective desire to see a giant "reset" button pushed- wiping out our bad credit histories, corrupt politicians, & international cartels in one fell swoop. We can dream, can't we?

Speaking of nut jobs & films, my favorite childhood book- The Lion the Witch & the Wardrobe- is finally being made into a movie. For those of you who don't know, the story is very heavy with Christian allegories. I took a gander at the IMDB forums for the film, & I was a bit taken aback at the hatred of Christianity I saw there. I'm not talking about poking fun (which is so easy to do & everyone's right to do to ANY religion) or asking questions about the millions of inconsistencies in the faith- I'm talking about outright hatred. Now, personally, in the words of George Carlin, "I was born a Catholic- now I'm an American-" but I don't hate the faith. This is the problem I've always had with the hypocritical "politically correct." If you want to scream your head off that we must be tollerant of everything under the sun, then you'd better damn well be tolerant of everyone- including, yes, Christianity- yourself.

Here endeth the preaching.

Speaking of IMDB, it's starting to suck. People who were tired of the paid-off reviews in the papers started turning to the internet to see what real people thought of the films. Sadly, sites like IMDB & Rotten Tomatoes are now flooded with gushing reviews & high ratings that are written by the studios themselves. Sigh.

TTFN
-Tony

6 comments:

steve said...

Oh, Tony ! I luved all the books in the Chronicles Of Narnia ! And I didn't think that this series was too heavily christian, in fact I thought that there were no religeous overtones in them. Only a mythology that required no worship nor churches to enjoy.
I kinda liked the PBS tv series that was done years ago (Tom Baker was Puddleglum) and I absolutly adore the Children's Television Workshop animated version of The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe (1985).
I hope the new movie is kewl !

Tony LaRocca said...

Well, it was actually intended to be a Christian story, though (suprise suprise) there's no mention of it on Disney's site. I suppose we have the success of Harry Potter to thank for it getting on film at all after 55 years. i.e. Aslan is supposed to be Jesus (I won't give spoilers away for those who haven't read it yet- but if you have you can figure it out.)

C.S. Lewis was an athiest, then became a very zealous Christian & wrote many non-fiction Christian books as well.

Tolkein & Lewis were friends- in fact, Treebeard is supposed to be C.S. Lewis! (According to the LOTR: TTW DVD)

The only PBS one I really liked was "The Silver Chair" (maybe because of Tom) & it's also my 2nd favorite Narnia book (after TLTW&TW) I thought the cartoon was much better.

It better damn well be kewl! :)

Ian T. said...

I'm not reading this post yet, as I'm going to see it on the weekend with my oldest daughter (who is turning 17)...

french toast girl said...

Remember when Mom wouldn't let us climb in the wardrobe in my room anymore because she thought our imaginations were running away with us?

I can't wait to see the movie, personally.

I 'm not surprised Disney didn't want to mention any allegorical aspects of it. The story really stands by itself. But as for hatred... I read the "His Dark Materials" series and was shocked by how strongly the author hated the Narnia books because he felt they were subversive. (sigh)

love you, :)

Tony LaRocca said...

Yeah, but wasn't it cool that you had (have) a real wardrobe to play in? It's a good thing they didn't name it "The Lion the Witch & the Refrigerator"
(Sorry, I have to stop typing here while Mandy the Moocher bums some cereal off of me)
Maybe Disney just loves it because the begining's the same as "Bedknobs & Broomsticks." Actually, from what I'm reading online, Walden Media made the movie & Disney's just distributing.

Ian T. said...

Tony, I kind of agree with your sentiments about religious tolerance... up to a point.

Yes, I remember about C. S. Lewis being Treebeard! This was in the Humphrey Carpenter Tolkien biography. I always hoped they'd use Tolkien's own recorded voice for Treebeard, because he'd done good recordings of those chapters read aloud.

I don't know about the Narnia books with the religious allegorical underpinnings removed - I've known quite a few atheists and agnostics who enjoyed them without any comprehension of that aspect, but removing it altogether does attack the integrity of the work...