Saturday, August 13, 2005

Evolving by Unintelligent Design


The Illustration Friday word of the week is WISDOM.

One of the biggest jokes God plays on us is that although we can learn at an early age (hence we spend the first entire quarter of our lives in learning institutions) we can't actually pass on wisdom. Wisdom can only be acquired with experience & age, so that by the time we're at our wisest, we're unable to affect the world at all- we're just in a nursing home drooling somewhere, watching "The Price is Right."

However, according to CNN, we'll be able to download our brains into computers by the year 2050. (Keep in mind that it's 2005 & still no HAL-9000 in sight… as far as we know.) Perhaps by the year 2200 the entire human race will just be on one big computer, living in cyberspace ala "The Matrix" but with no bodies to be attached to. The only downshot is that it would probably be the end of evolution- or of intelligent design, if you're so inclined- for the human race. Ah well, there's always a give and take with technology.

TTFN
-Tony

14 comments:

JacqueLynn said...

Hi Tony, I think the dinosaurs probably already did that “matrix” thing, they are all hooked up and running the planet and us into extinction. How else can you explain some of the “unusual” decisions being made on our behalf? - Jacque

isay (Marissa) said...

I might be dead by then or do you think I will be like that floating body in your drawing(he he he-of course not!) I am not sure if it’s exciting but there’s something dreary just thinking about it, anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts and cute illustration, too. I was looking for that little webby character or maybe a new one soon?

have a nice weekend!

Rowantree said...

Interesting ideas and cute illo !!

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh. Ever wondered why you feel different and don't fit in - like the rest of us? Training as a child also teaches us what is supposed to be good or bad - how we SHOULD think *twilight zone music* Will go now... and believe me will NEVER be watching "The Price is Right"! Don't believe Webby would either. Great illustration as always :)

carla said...

Tony, you have quite an outlook on life! You're great at satire...I love your combination of humor and commentary. The suspended body reminds me of the movie Coma that was adapted from the novel of the same name by Michael Crichton. Great illustration of the topic!

Tony LaRocca said...

LOL Yeah, I was thinking of Coma too when I drew it. I haven't seen that in many, many moons!

Shano said...

Scary! I'll be in much trouble if my brain is downloaded in 2050.

kay susan said...

I think that's probably a really horrible idea.

french toast girl said...

Ooh, I had to go back and check if the eye was the same as the one from the 'aging' movie. Congratulations on the levitating people and the new employment!

love, me

Aravis said...

I will not watch The Price is Right. I will be running down orderlies in my super-speedy motorized wheelchair with cow-catcher mounted on the front. I will lurk around corners just waiting for them to appear...

Er, great illustration of a creepy potential technological advance.

Advance? Really?

*G*

steve said...

Sign me up for that evolutionary upgrade, Tony ! I've gotta lotta things to do and I want plenty of time to accomplish them.
:-D

Anonymous said...

As long as I look as sexy as Data on "Star Trek".......

vfm4 said...

you really think that's gonna happen? well, who knows... more than mankind ever feared has happened already..

Ian T. said...

Before I read your blurb I was contemplating whether the TV deity was uploading Wisdom or draining this person's brain. Roger Water's Amused to Death has a different spin on the Eye in the TV thing (which is what sprang to mind, rather than The Matrix).