Thursday, August 25, 2005

Philisophical Battles of the Sphincter.

For those unfamiliar with the psychotically religious, Chick Tracts are tiny little pamphlet comic books written by Jack Chick. There are a few of them online, and quite a few good parodies too. While reading these insane, Catholic-hating, fire & brimstone piles of poopie-kaka for laughs, I came across something that actually seriously offended me. It's from the tract "No Fear." The preacher tells a young girl he rescues from an attempted suicide, "…we all deserve to go to hell, because we are all sinners." Sorry, but this is the most insane crap I've ever heard in my life.

I've been re-reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, (my favorite book of all time) to re-charge my philosophical batteries. I know some people hate it (Once, when I was reading it during lunch on a job, a foreman told me to "put that Republican, anti-union piece of shit away,") but there's something great about a philosophy that states that we should all be proud of ourselves, that we should live in honesty without guilt or fear, that the meaning of life is to be happy, that the only way we will have high self esteem, self love, and self respect is to earn it from ourselves… the list goes on and on. It's only about a thousand pages long, and it can get a little preachy at times, but I'd recommend it to anyone who's sick of being told that the world is an evil place and mankind is the most evil thing about it. (Come to think of it, The Fountainhead is a pretty good book too, though the movie is beyond terrible.)

TTFN
-Tony

3 comments:

Kyra said...

I loved the Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged has been on my list for such a long time...I finally picked up a used copy and started reading it but the text went into the crease because of the binding...I'll read it one day eventually...

Tony LaRocca said...

yeah... unfortunately, the book is so damn long, (1000 pages or so)that the paperback is printed in microscopic print on tissue paper. It is, however, a darn tootin' read.

Joan Lansberry said...

Ayn Rand's "Anthem" is a very short, and SHORT, easily readable, that is also very good...

I found her writings very influential in my teens, as well, for the emphasis on the view of humanity as NOT being 'wretched', etc.