Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Who's the Pretty Girl in the Mirror, there (what mirror where?)



The Illustration Friday word of the week is REFLECTION. Please click on the picture above for a larger image.

This is something I made last year, for my own sick & twisted fun. It can also be found on EgotisticalProductions.com in the gallery section.

Here's one of my favorite poems:

The Guy in the Glass
by Dale Wimbrow, (c) 1934

When you get what you want in your struggle for pelf,
And the world makes you King for a day,
Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,
And see what that guy has to say.

For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,
Who judgement upon you must pass.
The feller whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the guy staring back from the glass.

He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,
For he's with you clear up to the end,
And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the guy in the glass is your friend.

You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,
And think you're a wonderful guy,
But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
If you can't look him straight in the eye.

You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
And get pats on the back as you pass,
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you've cheated the guy in the glass.

-TTFN
Tony

19 comments:

KimJS said...

neat poem. great illo! is it colored pencil?

isay (Marissa) said...

cool! you should write more poems.
i kinda smile when i saw the man's face, i don't know why? is this a collage?

Anonymous said...

Wonderful self portrait Tony! Hope the mirror doesn't break now it's 2005 or your luck might not exist any more.

Can you look at yourself in the eye or eyes whichever applies. See I'm a poet just don't ...

Great submission!!!

Aravis said...

You never let me down; you always have something great to see here! I loved the poem too. It's so very true! BTW, you have a lovely wife. :0)

bee'nme said...

That's quite a work of art, Tony. Love the detail on the table, cloth and flower.

JacqueLynn said...

Love the caption, and the poem, and the illo. THey are great. But my favorite, the table cloth, it made such a wonderful contrast to the face in the mirror, ( it brought it all home so to speak). Anyway, it was the brilliant touch that you always seem to find.

Jeope said...

Luck, schmuck. Mister Tony, that is one kickass bit of art. 'Nuff said.

It's blog, it's blog...drat! You got me hummin' that now...

Rowantree said...

Great detail like table cloth and flower. You must write more poems !

Tony LaRocca said...

For those of you who kindly say I should write more poems... thank you, but I didn't write this one. :) In fact, the only poem of mine I think I've ever put on my blog was my summer hikau.

jungs- I made it in 3ds max, with a little bit of help from photoshop with the bitmaps. I don't remember, but it's possible I made the body with Poser & the head with Davinci (a 3ds plugin)

jeope- I used to have a wav file that played "it's better than bad- it's good!" (From Ren & Stimpy, from those of you who don't remember) but I removed it as ftp space dwindled...

aravisarven- yeah, like our kids, she's too cute for her own good :)

Thank you all for your kind comments. I've been going through my blog, deleting spam that people like to put into comments. (Hey, great blog! Check out MY blog where you can get great discounts on woodwork furniture...)

Rebeccashane said...

I realy like this.. I keep looking at the blue and white table cloth.. amazing image..

carla said...

It's creepy! It's scary! It's great! I love the juxtaposition of the ordinary setting and the rather extraordinary reflection in the mirror. The single rose is brilliant! And the tablecloth is so...perfect. Good job, Tony:>

♥ joleen said...

Wow! That's really dark and neat! :)

Anonymous said...

Those spammers are attacking IFs in particular :(

Tony ... I think you should write more Haiku. You wrote more during IF 'Metropolitan':

A Bird Looking Down
Deciding exactly where
To let out its load

(City Hikau)by Tony Larocca

Tony LaRocca said...

That's true- but it was a comment on your amazing IF :)

steve said...

That tablecloth is amazingly detailed ! And so is the grain in the table itself ! I wish I could do that kind of photorealism, all I got is cartoon style artwork.

Anonymous said...

That's true- but wanted everyone to read more of your amazing Haiku :)

Ian T. said...

This guy in the mirror doesn't look happy. Is he saying "Rosebud" perhaps? :)

Very dark and fascinating, but I'm not sure I comprehended all that's there...

Tony LaRocca said...

Steve- the photorealism is because I made it with 3ds Max. The grain on the table is a scanned bitmap of real wood.

I don't know if it shows, but there's a hidden "mirror" image as well- the guy in the mirror's right (your left) side is normal, while his left is twisted & distorted. (probably from touching the glass!) Look at the difference between the two eyes, and the skintone in the arms.

vfm4 said...

fantastic self portrait, Tony!