Sunday, October 23, 2005

Is this Remotely Art?



Here we are, another Illustration Friday. Thank God for IF. If it wasn't for IF, no one would come to this goddamn blog at all. Why the hell should you? You all have lives (I hope.) Click on the damn thing to see it in full. Go on. CLICK IT!

Anyway, for those interested, this week's IF is REMOTE. Yes, I'm still on a philosophy/ psychology kick- and yes, I'm still on a Robert Anton Wilson kick. Now, the gist of RAW's work (which he got from Timothy Leary) is that we're all robots, programmed by everything that has gone on in life up to this point in time. You're sitting here, right now, reading this crap, because everything in your life has led up to that moment. Did you just lean to the side and cut one? Guess what- everything in your life has lead up to that moment too! We robots are just puppets, controlled by remote (aha!) by time and our pasts. Everyting you think, everything you do, is because you ARE THE ROBOT. There's no sense in trying to be something or someone that's not in your nature: you are what you is, and that's all it is (as the late great Frank Zappa once sang.) "Oho!" I hear you cry, "I'll just CHANGE my nature. Sure, you can, it takes a lot of work- but guess what? The idea to change your nature- how you wanted to change it, and what you changed it into- was all preprogrammed by your past! Psyche!

In fact, I used the same theory when I made the picture for IF's sorrow a few months ago, but I didn't bother explaining:

As I usually do, I worked my ass off to make a very detailed production, only to decide at the last second to wipe out the detail in the name of style. For example, a much younger image of my grandfather's face was used in the clock dial:

Now that we're done with the art lesson, let us discuss. I'll let you in on a secret.

I hate my job.

It's a good job- an honerable trade- it keeps the wife in denim and the kids in diapers and there are fantastic benefits- and I'm damn good at it. But I hate it, for the simple fact that it's not what I want to do with my life. Never in my life did I dream of being a construction worker. It was a way to take care of my family. I'll stop whining, as the only one who can fix my problem is me, when I get around to it or when I have a heart attack, whichever comes first.

But I digress. Let's talk about the people. People are people. Most of the time I work with good people, sometimes I work with assholes. We've discussed this before. (Keep in mind that an asshole is someone who sees life differently than you do.)

I was happy for a few months: I was working for/ with a great guy. Now, however, I seem to be stuck on a job full of Alpha Dogs. (Almost) everyone is trying to be Tony Soprano. Every conversation is started with an insult. Words go back and forth, volume rises. They bark, then they growl, until one of them backs down. Some days I feel like going out and buying a pack of dog biscuits and just throwing them in the middle of the shanty when it gets to be too much. Or I feel like walking up to one of them and bopping them on the nose with a rolled up newspaper.

I do what I usually do- I act like myself, which comes to the usual problems when I'm working with Alpha Dog Wannabees (as you can imagine, the construction industry is full of them.) "You think you're better than us, don't you?" "HOW old are you? You look and act like you're 50!" I try to remind myself over and over again that I am a robot, that they're all robots, and they just can't help themselves. Nature and nurture has programmed them all up to this point. Throw them a milk bone and move on to the next one. Sigh.

TTFN
Tony

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the art lesson :) Hope the Robot Asshole Dogs go away soon :) LOVE your drawing, it has advanced qualities of genius. The spine is gorgeous! Cute shoulders. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Your 'remote' drawing is remotely remote. I see the downturned face of the clock and realise how right I am. Keep up the good work :)

Catnapping said...

geez, Tony, these are beautiful. I especially love the first one. so beautiful and so sad...

I hope the alpha turds you work with get squished or flushed down a toilet.

Marion said...

Hey we had the same idea about remote!;)Like your picture.
I don't like my job either very often.
But if I see how poor the rest of the world can be or is, I musn't complain....

Rowantree said...

Two great drawings, but second it's really strong for me !

isay (Marissa) said...

first look and i didn't realize it was some kind of robot hanging there, using your grandfather's face for the clock dial is brilliant but could have been better and noticeable if you add a little more color(unsolicited opinion *LOL*)the other robot, it's my first time to see it and it is wonderful.

thanks for sharing about your job and here's wishing you good days despite those Robot Asshole dogs.

Toni said...

Your drawings are wonderful. They always are.

So what would you like to do with your life? Don't get so stuck in your job that you begin to not like yourself. You are talented and the possibilities are endless.

merlinprincesse said...

Interesting story. Never thought that maybe, all the guys in the construction area were not alpha males... Glad to realize that! Don't change what you are. Stay like this because guys like you are going to change this World. BTW, love your art!

Rick Lovell said...

Nice job on both. I really like the feel of the first one, but I always gravitate toward the surreal. It's very subtle and strange, in a remote sort of way.

Tony Sarrecchia... said...

Great illos and art lessons.

Change your programming and change your life.

JacqueLynn said...

Hey, I like your remote illo the execution AND the idea of it. Sorry that your work sucks. Wish I could give you some words of good cheer, but actually what you have to look forward to is your babies turning into teenagers, and then you'll long for the good old days when it was only your work that gave you such grief. SOOO hug the babies and forget about work for a while.

; * said...

lol, you are funny...love your guy in the chute!

Keep up the art and your blog may blow for all the comments....remotelyish

Pusha V said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog!.
Nice remote image.

carla said...

Oh my! You have so much mental energy, Tony! Okay...the first thing that pooped into my head was Being John Malkovitch, and perhaps that isn't too, too far off from what you're saying here...robots, puppets, etc. The second drawing is beautifully done.

Alina Chau said...

Fun Remote illo! V creative, love the sureal quarity!

Ian T. said...

Tony, so much of what you are feeling and saying is expressed in your "Remote" picture. We're all manipulated by time and circumstance, not to mention wage-slavery. And yep, work can be bad enough without people posturing and acting out their power fantasies.

I reckon it's time for you to write and illustrate a story about a construction worker. Seriously. Bob the Builder is only half the story and I reckon you'd have a great story to tell. Write (and illustrate) what you know as a children's book! Finish a few of the pictures and try to get it to an agent or editor.

Aravis said...

Well that was bleak, though I can't say I blame you. I'm not overly fond of assholes either, of any kind. That being said, I loved the illustration. I prefer the thought of being a puppet to that of being a robot. A puppet's strings can be severed.