Saturday, May 06, 2006

"Because I'm Fat, I'm Fat, Come On..."


This week's Illustration Friday word is FAT, so I chose my two fave fatties.

Speaking of Jabba, Lucas is, "for a limited time" (the 3 months from September to December) releasing the original versions of the Star Wars movies on DVD. Yes, you can finally see Star Wars without Greedo shooting first, the Empire Strikes back without the new Darth Vader / Emperor dialog (which was changed horribly so it would coincide with the prequels) and Return of the Jedi without the abysmal inserting of Hayden Christian's ghost in place of Sebastian Shaw's. (This was changed on the DVD to fit in more with Lucas's light switch morality: He WAS Vader, NOW he's Anakin again.)

I'm calling in all the bets I made when the special-weshial edition DVDs came out, and Lucas swore on a stack of Ewoks that he would never ever put the originals out. I, and anyone else who understands the way DVDs are released, knew that as soon as it was economically feasible (as soon as all the Star Wars fans bought all the $60 box sets of the specail editions) that he would release the originals. What's more, they're ONLY being released for 3 months leading up to Christmas. (I guess someone's been paying attention to Disney's marketing schemes.) So save up your money and put more cash in George Lucas's pocket this Christmas- we all know he needs it. How greedy can you get?

TTFN
-Tony

19 comments:

penelope said...

Please link to a static page next week by clicking on the date of your entry. :)
Visit the "About" section on Illustration Friday to find out more...

Thank you!

penelope

Princess Pepper Cloud said...

Hi Tony, Jaba is a pretty big guy, but maybe calling him "fat" is a little harsh.

Caroline said...

Very interesting take on fat and greed...

JO said...

My nephew was with me when I opened your illo, He yelled Jabba the Hut, COOOOL. He's not allowed to watch South Park. so he didn't recognize the other. Both are COOOOl.

Tony LaRocca said...

PPC, what would you suggest? "Slimy piece of worm-ridden filth"? LOL.

Rayne said...

Love the jabba! Good job.

Toni said...

I like the drawings and yep George Lucas must be greedy.
I haven't been around much lately so hope you are feeling a bit better.

Gabu said...

I didn't realize they had made such lame changes to the original 3! In particular the Greedo scene. That's just wrong. I thought they had just added in some CG shots.

Lou said...

I'm sorry, but I believe Cartman is not fat. He's big boned. ;)

Excellent work on both!

merlinprincesse said...

Making the promo for Lucas? Mwhahahahaha!

Tony LaRocca said...

The best thing about the original movies being released on DVD is the Ewoks' "Yub-yub" song at the end of Return of the Jedi. I can't stand the song they replaced it with.

And you're right, Lou, Cartman is just big boned... except in Weight Gain 4000. "Beefcake!"

TXArtcGal said...

It is weird...I have never seen "South Park"...but, I know the characters! :)... and, I had only seen the original "Star Wars" way back when I was in high school! Anyway...great renderings, and take on this week's theme. :)

carla said...

Funny, Tony! I love South Park...now i'm hearing Cartman's voice in my ear...

steve said...

Love the Jabba drawing Tony! And yeah, I had that Weird Al song in my head too! Anyhow, thanks for the star wars heads up. that greedo scene is still nightmarish to watch, so even though Lucas is a greedy slappy, i must admit to looking forward to the release of the originals on dvd.

justjohanna said...

fun post. great sketches.

The Unknown said...

Ha! Cool.
love

Ellen said...

That's fat for sure!

Ian T. said...

Nice fat choices and pics!

Thanks for the heads up on the original Star Wars - maybe now I can watch it again, rather than the ill-conceived retread. I better they don't do an Australian Zone DVD release though.

Gerald de Dios said...

Great post. I like that Jabba da Hut sketch! I know this is an old post, but that DVD story is hilarious. I can't believe Lucas has a man-made pond in front of Skywalker Sounds named "Ewok Lake"?! The man can do whatever he wants! hahahaha.