Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Buy a Token Now for a Ride that's Super Wow

Perhaps because it never fails to soothe the savage beast that is my three-year-old Mandypandy, I've had this song in my head all week:





For those too young to remember, this is vintage 1970's Sesame Street. What's so interesting to me is that not only does it have no educational value whatsoever, but it highlights all the problems of the subway rather than singing it's virtues. Quite odd for a children's show- maybe that's why they never show it anymore. But hey, it's got a bouncy beat and it's the honest truth!

TTFN

-Tony

9 comments:

scarecrow said...

Subway? Free Ride?
Free Ride? Subway?

I think we should take the Free Ride!!!

I also think that we should give the kids a break from the message! They are pretty smart! They and we can figure it out for ourselfs. A little free time never hurt anyone.

Good post!

Later

Lee said...

LOL, I wonder how many other examples of that you'd find in SS? Great Rain post below...

french toast girl said...

I so totally love this song. I like the line "You could lose your purse, or you might lose something worse on the subway."

Superwow, indeed!

love, me

steve said...

Oh yeah, even before I hit the play song started playing in my head. This is great Tony--it makes my day! I haven't seen or heard this in years yet it's etched in my brain. Sesame Street was the shizzle.

Pat Angello said...

Totally forgot about that until I started watching! BRILLIANT! Thanks for posting it!

Ian T. said...

Classic, but I must admit to "Doo wup, doo wup, jump!" and "Mahna Mahna" being my special favourites.

String said...

Gosh, those were the days.

V.K. said...

ahhhh schweeeeet!! I honestly do not remember this particular skit song but I do remember sitting on the floor in front of the television on Clairmont Drive when as a kid I lived in San Diego during the 70s....and an unexpected surprise: not just one but TWO episodes back to back of Sesame Street that afternoon! I was in heaven. And who didn't want to see what the heck Oscar the Grouch's house inside the garbage can looked like? I was so obsessed, I wanted to see the layout, the decor, I was sure he had a mansion inside that can....Thanks Tony!!

merlinprincesse said...

Here, in Quebec, many kids listen to it to learn English! Isn't THAT cool! :)