Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Rain in Spain Stays Mainly in the Plain



The Illustration Friday word of the week is RAIN. It's been a while since I've done some realistic CGI. Made with 3ds Max with Mental Ray rendering.

Rain… rain… it's raining now. Rain, weather, global warming… something else I'm supposed to worry about. Yep, Al Gore, the sky is falling. NYC could be destroyed by a hurricane… any… year… now… someday… whatever. Guess the panic-inducing-terrorist threats got old. There's also North Korea's supposed missile which supposedly would be shot down by our defense system, and Iran's supposed weapons buildup. Get with the times, people. The threat of supposed Nuclear War is so… 80s! Please stop trying to make me worry about something else I can't change, I have enough real life worries right now.

2:00 am. Remember when you were a kid and all you wanted to do was stay up late? Then you grew up and said "what's the big deal?" Unless, of course, you found a social group that did human sacrifices at 1am. There's always ways to meet new people & have fun. Sadly, there's usually unlimited amounts of money involved. That's the trouble with the whole Carpe Diem thing. If you lived every day as if it were your last, wouldn't you get broke pretty damn quick? People say, "Well, think about your happiest moments. Now, was money really involved?" YES!

The American dream was summed up by Leo Bloom in the (original) movie, "The Producers:" I want everything I've ever seen in the movies!"

TTFN
-Tony

PS Kindly check out Joe's interpretation of Rain on dARTh-joe. Groovie.

PPS: Addendum, 6/24/2006

As someone's been kind enough to think this was a photograph, I thought I'd include a polygon/ wireframe rendering before the Archangeles of Illustration Friday start crying, "Foul!"

PPPS: Addendum #2, Clarifying:

I'm not advocating hiding our heads in the sand. Environmental problems are real, weather Al Gore uses them to keep his name on the news or not. But the sad truth is, it took 150 years of unbridled industrialism to pollute our air, and it's going to take millennia for nature to work itself out – if it ever does at all.

What I resent is the implication that it's something we could correct RIGHT NOW if we'd only _____. Of course, we should stop making it worse! However, my point is there is nothing I can personally do about it, (bar joining the Amish and never using anything electrical or combustive again,) so, as the alcoholic's prayer goes, it's something I should have the wisdom not to get my panties in a twist about.

The real problem is that as our entire consumer-based economy depends on advertising, the media does its best to keep us on the edge of our seats as if the news were just another movie. They WANT us to be worried, whether it's about terrorism, the environment, nuclear war, hurricanes, or an asteroid hitting the planet, because it keeps their ratings up, keeps people watching the news, keeps them buying newspapers! What's more, it keeps them buying useless comfort items: the latest CDs, DVDs, designer clothes, computer games, alcohol, cigarettes, and of course, comfort foods – after which we can spend our money on diet fads! And they wonder why our stress levels are so high!

23 comments:

Knitting Painter Woman said...

Very shadowy and dark.
I just read Getting Things Done. The author points out that if you know what action you are going to take, you don't have to worry any more. What are YOU going to do about global warming? (Oh, and the choices include deleting the concern (i.e. trash) because it doesn't call for you to take action, planning latter, and doing that you can within the next 2 minutes. Then you're done. NO more worries. Be happy. :-D

Teri C said...

I love that leaf in there looking all wet and lonely. It really makes the whole scene perfect.

carla said...

This image is very peaceful, certainly in contrast to your state of mind. I guess one of the unexpected fringe benefits of moving to the wild hills of NW CT is that I can't get the NY Times delivered, won't read the crappy local paper, barely have time to listen to the news on the radio, don't watch anything on TV except old Seinfelds and Desperate Housewives... so I don't have the opportunity to dwell on all the awful things I can't change. It's something of a relief, because there is so much to worry about and get angry about! Anyway, I love this image...it makes me think of sitting by a brook and watching the water go by. Stay well, Tony:>

bozena said...

I enjoyed reading your series of thoughts inspired by this week's topic.

The image is beautiful.

Ginger*:) said...

This is just lovely. I really like the way the leaf seems to be glowing in spite of the rain. The contrast between textures and colors is truly inviting!

CATRAVEN said...

Gorgeous photo and what you did with it! Truly lovely!
I have an idea of what to do for fun that doesn't cost any money but you do have to have a cat,masking tape and a really slippery floor.
Have a great weekend rain or shine!

Sweet Harvey LLC said...

Beautiful piece. I love the rich contrast of the colors in this. That yellow leaf is beautiful, I love fall! Brandi

steve said...

Good image here Toni. I can see how some people get turned off by the whole global warming buzz but you gotta give big ups to Gore for trying to do something about it. Sure it's good to have a laugh at things and not take it too serously but the fact is that all this so called hype is the real deal and is REAL life. If I plan to have kids in the future I personally would hope that most people don't shrug these issues off as ignorable and unsolvable.

Aravis said...

This is really gorgeous work. You constantly impress me. I agree with what you wrote also. Well said!

scarecrow said...

Great post!!! But you need to work on your shyness so you can tell us what is really on your mind.

BWAHahahahahahaha!!!!

Later

Lou said...

You done good, Tony. Real good.

Very thought provoking post and fantastic illustration.

ChristyMarcusLitster said...

a-maze-ing


by the way....my fair lady... also, a-maze-ing!

gudbrandsdottir said...

Such a pieceful picture. The rain in Spain is hardly seen!
My way not to notice all the bad news is never to buy a newspaper, never to turn on the TV and only browsing through pages on the internet about the beauty in the world! It works!

Christine Lim said...

Hey buddy, your CGI is awesome. Your post, just as insightful.

By the way, thanks for responding to my post on my dream. I rather enjoy reading it. Oh, I do believe in OBE. Best one is when you can fly.

Katili said...

Great work, it's very vivid, like the leaf is moving.

Studio Zuga said...

its good to rant against the machine and if enough of us can do it all at the same time we might even get something for it. but it might not be what we wanted thats the way the machine is. lov ur work this week when i ist looked at it earlier in the week i thought it was an photo. now i see how dead wrong i am. i was amazed u were able to find a setting like that to photogragh now im blowen away that u did it the way u did great work has a very oriental flavor to it.

french toast girl said...

I love the rock the most - it's so wet and shiny. I like your sketches, but this one is just GAWgeous.

love you always,
me

HARDWAX said...

Yes..and I want every beach front bungalow I see. Great job! The lone leaf able to keep above the water somehow. One of your best illustrations to date.

String said...

Different perspective from different parts of the world! Myself I rather like the leafy natural view, although London is quite a show!

arvindh said...

wow this is just fantastic work!

Rrramone said...

Nicely done. Love the top photo especially.

Ian T. said...

Well, I really thought it was a photo as well, and I was struck by the way you had captured the water echoing the shape of the dead leaf (a leaf formerly nourished by rain). A fine composition with layered meanings, but I'm not sure what the rock's doing there!

merlinprincesse said...

OMG! Tony! Too much time since I was here! You are soooo cool and talented! :) This is nice and I am jealous...Hhehhehhehehe!