StatCounter

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Clowns to the Left of Me, Jokers to the Right...


Illustration Friday this week is Sticky. Sticky sticky sticky. Is there anything worse than something sticky on you? Maybe sticky acid, I suppose. Keep in mind it can always be worse. Making the best of a sticky situation, as they say.

Beliefs are sticky. Religion is sticky. Religion is the ability to not only believe something in the absence of proof, but to insist that others believe in it (without proof) as well. Perhaps the lack of proof is the reason so many people angrily protect their beliefs.

If my blog has been obsessed with religion lately, it's because I've been obsessed with understanding my own beliefs, which have become all feklempt in the last half of my life. I have a lot of fun trying to get my son to understand his own belief system:

Me: (ala Mike Myers) Come, Mr. Bigglesworth!
Joe: I'm not Mr. Bigglesworth, I'm Joe!
Me: What does that mean?
Joe: I'm a boy, I'm not a cat!
Me: How do you know?
Joe: Cat's have fur.
Me: You have fur on the top of your head…
Joe: No! No no no… Cat's meow!
Me: They what?
Joe: ME-OW
Me: You just went "meow!" So you must be a cat!
Joe: NO NO NO!

We become stuck to our beliefs, we become stuck in our own behaviors. Gravity sticks us to the Earth's surface. I am rubber, you are glue. What ever you say bounces off me & sticks to you. Thbbbbt.

TTFN
-Tony

p.s. be sure to check out Joe's sticky pic on dARTh-joe!

28 comments:

Studio Zuga said...

lol stuck in the middle with U? lol if i had to be stuck to u tony at least i know it would never be boring lol
this is a wild piece i love it.

Lou said...

Your work is always amazing. I really love the way that the person is sticking to themselves.

BTW, I feel sorry for Joe. ;) j/k

Janet said...

Oww..the illo makes me hurt...but I always enjoy your conversations with Joe!

Little Who said...

Poo, poo!

Bron Smith said...

Marvelous art. Great dialogue.

Roy Blumenthal said...

Sticky acid? Makes me think of napalm! Yeeeeeks.

Damn good drawing, Tony.

And I really enjoy your motivation for the pic. It's a really good visual metaphor for some of the pain and turmoil involved with self-reflection of the sort you'd dig your kid to engage in.

I wonder if I could challenge you to do something similar showing the rewards of self-reflection?

Looks like it could be a good start to a 'how to' book for early adolescents or teenagers on how to think for themselves.

My attempt at 'sticky' is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/royblumenthal/179910735/.

Blue skies
love
Roy

Jayster said...

I love this. It's a very creepy image, especially the eyes. the way you have done the mirrored sticky flesh is amazing too.

Excellent work.

french toast girl said...

I love your pic AND your logic.

love, me

Anonymous said...

great drawing!

uvor said...

fantastic, realisation & Idea!

Rrramone said...

Ok, that is going to keep me up at night. :-)

Teri C said...

You have such an imagination!!

CATRAVEN said...

This is fantastically magnificent artwork!!!Bravo to you Mr. Tony!
I grant you cattitude!my highest praise!
Meow for now,
Catraven

Knitting Painter Woman said...

And you picked the category "REALISTIC"? My a**!!! But you are SO right. I like the musical reference, AND the sticky beliefs comment. I've been hanging out with more people who DO want proof of the things they believe (an ironic result of the current administration in D.C.) and have pretty much decided that religion is bunk. (But I love nature and have given up arguing with reality.)

ChristyMarcusLitster said...

NICE WORK!!!

and thanks for the interesting post on my blog. I almost peed my pant laughing!!

ValGalArt said...

you are hilarious and your illo is so amazing, it's absolutely great and you are officially the zaniest artist and that's a good thing!

carla said...

This is very cool! I just love the whole extruded, dripping face... I also love how you mess with Joe's mind. He's gonna grow up to be one cool kid!

Michelle said...

I like the 3D. I also wanted to thank you for stopping by my site. I live for comments.

steve said...

Great stuff here Tony! Thoughtful write-up too. I keep thinking of a scene from "Robo-cop" where one of the bad guys got acid dumped on his head.

Factoryrat71 said...

EXCELLENT!!! You have the craziest insights and what worries me is I can relate!!

Katili said...

What an idea and excellent work, wov ! Just fabulous. It brings to mind some mornings of my not-so-good moments after waking up after a long sleep with the head against the table. That is one sticky picture !

Franfou said...

thats weird ! bravo !!

HARDWAX said...

It was so hard for Joe to prove he is who he says he is when challenged. Imagine God trying to prove existence to six billion minds, with all the logic, illogic, imagination, prejudices, personal histories-good luck. Gods the elephant in the living room.

Your artwork is beautiful, truly a unique and awesome piece of work-so much so it hurts to look at it, ouch!

C. Bennett said...

Waaa. That is soooooooo Gross. Great idea though. Looks like the best bet of gross Ive seen in a while. Keep up the great work.

stephanie anderson (moen) said...

Cool concept- looks like it hurts though!

The Unknown said...

Freaky picture. I love it.
Nice post.
love

String said...

Great illo, really good, nice commentary too.

merlinprincesse said...

This is a great illo, Tony! And if you want to know the "Meaning of Life", listen to the Monthy Python's moovie. At the end, they give the answer... DUH! :))))))