StatCounter

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Opposites' Fatal Attraction



This was difficult to come up with. At first I played around with 3ds Max, making a planet that was half city and half water. As you can imagine, the result looked ridiculous. Then I was going to do (first with 3ds and then sketched) someone pulling his face in two opposite directions with his hands. Then this came to mind.

I've been called a "walking talking dichotomy." It must be so easy for those who have a clear idea of what they're doing and why they're doing it. Or maybe they just don't care why. I've also been diagnosed as being both left and right brained to the extent that I become easily confused about how to go about doing things. You'd think my brain would be kind enough to just mesh together, each hemisphere knowing what job to do and when, but no, that would be too useful.

As I'm sure I've blogged before, I have this annoying ability to see and accept multiple viewpoints. I know a lot of opinionated people, (I admit I was one, once,) and this makes them very angry, as I tend to see national and global problems as giant swirls of oil and water with all colors mixed in, rather just in terms of black and white. I once thought that the two-party political system we have here in America was a giant conspiracy to keep anything from being done, but now I think it's just human nature. We want opposites. We want an "us" to belong to and a "them" to be angry at. If we're unhappy, we can always blame the enemy. "It's all ____'s fault!" So much better than actually correcting the problem.

The doctor says I can go back to work, so I'll probably have a new job sometime in the next week. Everyone chant with me, "No driving, no Staten Island! No driving, no Staten Island!"

TTFN
-Tony

21 comments:

Angela said...

Wow, that really caught my attention. Very cool!

Rosa Murillo said...

i'm scared! very powerful...
i think i'll go to bed with the lights on tonight....

Da Ghost Prod said...

I feel like a cold wind in my back ! really powerscaryful ;)

Amy Zaleski said...

The image blew me away. Then I read your post and it had a lot more meaning. Your honesty is always refreshing. Libertarian perhaps?

Tony LaRocca said...

I don't know if it's a matter of blaming yourself instead. I just see lots of instances where it's much easier to blame someone else than to change things.

Kaya said...

No driving, no staten island... This is a powerful, freaky image. I can relate. I'm glad to know that you're doing better, and also that there is another person who thinks in colours instead of black and white!

Tiger Mouse said...

Whoa! Freaky picture.

I'm always getting in trouble for being a devil's advocate too, but as far as I'm concerned there's always shades of grey...

Blake Himsl Hunter said...

wow...that peice freaked me out.

steve said...

Great drawing Tony--this is the burden of the thinking man. Anyhow, love it!

String said...

Good post - Us and Them - yeah instead of just US, which is really what this world is all about.

merlinprincesse said...

Frightening illo! But so is life... sometimes. Not always...:)

Rayne said...

No driving, no satan island. No driving, no staten island.
I liked the illo. It really caught me and I spent awhile staring at it trying to 'understand' it or some such dweeby thing. Your blog entry had me thinking, I am totally opinionated in a wishy-washy kind of way. I come out swinging declaring that *THIS* is how it is and then my brain starts working with it and the 'howevers' and the 'in some cases' come into play and then before you know it I'm wandering off babbling to myself not too sure where I stand on any thing at all.

iota said...

great drawing - uncomfortable making!

carla said...

This is such a cool and expressive drawing. I especially enjoyed your post...it seems that you've made some peace with the many minds you often have! I'm glad to hear you're ready to go back to work! No driving!!! No Staten Island!

french toast girl said...

I think you're more of a philosopher than you know!

love, me

ps ~ aren't we also supposed to chant, "No shmucks!" ? We've been praying for the right job for you. :)

Jay said...

I like your drawing. strong~!

Princess Pepper Cloud said...

Eeek! Very scary drawing. But it's a scary world.

georg said...

Scary image! I had to read the explanition, and I must say I can understand, it's difficult with left-right - I have some of the same difficulties.

It's easier, if we find "them" and "us", but pay attention! Don't get to know somebody of "them" - then suddenly some of the "them" is some of "us" - and so it's difficult :)

I'll tell you a secret: I like yor images very much!

glumnmum said...

I love your posts. best of luck with the job. the answer is Saudi Arabia. xoxo

Roz Foster said...

Whoa. You definitely shouldn't drive like *that*! ; - D Spook-AY.

faeorain said...

Incredible drawing....and I have to admit it creeps me out a little....but that makes it even better! Nice work!