Monday, July 03, 2006

The Updated Childhood of a Geek


Megatron, in 1986's Transformers the Movie.

The Transformers teaser is finally online- a year before the movie's release. Interested as I am, I can't help being annoyed that the characters & storyline are going to be "updated." Every time someone "updates" an existing franchise (translated: re-tools it for the largest common denominator at the expense of long-existing fans) the result is some sort of formless goop that pleases no one, (i.e., the deservedly-bombed Aeon Flux movie.) Sure, Transformers the Movie was a critical disaster, but the fans loved it & it made money- so why mess with success? It's groovie that they're doing a live action/cgi G1 film, but why not keep the original characters and voices the same as they were in the 80s? Who knows, the movie doesn't come out till next year; hope for the best, expect the worst.

~~~~~~~~~~

Jen looked at my Photo Friday post and laughed. Then she squinted. "You're not thirty-four," she said.

"Sure," I replied. "I was born in '72."

"November, 1972," she corrected. "That makes you thirty-three."

"Oh yeah," I replied, and corrected the post. I honestly thought I was thirty-four. I lost a year, somewhere. I hope it was a good one.

TTFN
-Tony

8 comments:

carla said...

My son had a while bunch of Transformer toys...they were so cool! I had to laugh about you forgetting your age...and then it occurred to me that you're the same age as my baby sister! Wow...I'm getting old, Tony! My son just turned 24! Yikes! Happy 4th of July:>

Rayne said...

I can't believe they are changing the Transformers for the movie. That's just so wrong!!
I do the age forgetting thing all of the time, except with me being a woman people think I am doing it on purpose. It's just not that important to me yet.

steve said...

Ha ha--yeah, I've lost track myself before (born in 1972 too) but that's not always a bad thing.

A new Transformers film? Interesting. I'm sure the animation will be a lot better but yeah, hopefully they wo't mess around too much with the original spirit and style of the characters. I always loved the voices of Starscream, Megatron and Prime. It's bad enough the quality of the toys have diminished to absolute crap. I remember when I was in fifth grade when they first came out and first seeing them in the store. I was in heaven.

TXArtcGal said...

You are making me feel old...and, I'm only 42! LOL!

I have never seen the original film...hmmmm...wonder if Netflix has it!...better yet, the library! Not sure if I want to actually pay for it!...but, it could bring some memories. My nephew used to play with Transformers when he was a tike.

String said...

Ha ha, Carla my son just turned 25! Totally loved the old Transformers.

Tony LaRocca said...

It's a fun movie- not an art film or anything, but has a lot of imagination. Most of the negative criticism came from the fact that while no one ever died on the television show (it was a kid's cartoon) the movie is very violent with lots of death, & has a few swear words to boot (the "shit" was originaly deleted out of the VHS version, but has been restored for the DVD) I embarrased the American Movie Classics people at a showing of Citizen Kane by reminding them it was Orson Welles's last film. :)

Edric Hsu said...

Haha I'm born in November, 1972 too!!!

And if you're also born on the 4th, then it would be too much of a coincidence! :D

Tony LaRocca said...

Sorry, November 8th. Still, it's always groovie to share Scorpeodom with someone :)