Thursday, August 31, 2006

Bloggin' on the MTA

The last remnants of August, clung to in desperation. Note to self: Happy Birthday, Paul.

The bus was already packed at my stop- the second one. I hated this V-train once, but I love it now; since everyone else in Queens still hates it, it's always empty. For a ten-minute delay, I’m guaranteed a seat.

I have to go to bed earlier. Six hours just doesn’t cut it anymore. I get caught up in looking up information on the internet or watching YouTube- or reading. Poor Joe can’t understand why Jen & I love to read so much. Maybe it's much harder for him than it was for us. I’m currently reading The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick. It's an alternate timeline sci-fi story, specifically asking what would have happened if the Axis had won World War II. It brillaintly focuses on common people and the social situations they life in, showing what an American's life would be like in a Japan-occupied U.S. I've always held P. K. Dick in low esteem based on the lack of development of the brilliant ideas in his short stories, but his novels are fantastic.

I have to get off (or on) my ass & start writing again- really writing, at least two hours a day. I know the love-hate relationship writers have with actually writing is common, but that knowledge is not going to get me anywhere. It’s just that I come home too exhausted to really think, & I want to spend time with Jen, Joe & Mandy... Well, like Captain Kirk said, when something is important you MAKE the time.

3-day weekend coming up, & I know they’re going to ask me to work Saturday. Maybe I'll give it to them. George is a great foreman, & they're so few & far between in this miserable business. He treats us with respect, & a guy like that I should help out. Besides, it's good OT money, & I still get two days off.

My hat's off to Michael De Kort, the guy who used YouTube to blow the whistle on Lockheed-Martin & how it was screwing over the Coast Guard. The only thing that is going to save this world is the ability of people to get their information out to the public. I can’t stand people who whine that some of the things people say on the internet aren’t true. Some of the things on the news aren’t true, for Christ's sake! Too much info in the public's hands is better than too little. To treat people as if they aren't smart enough to figure out the truth for themselves is the most elitest bullcrap I can think of. Come to think of it, Google & Microsoft should both burn in hell for helping China grind its people into the dirt.

Here’s my stop.

TTFN
-Tony

6 comments:

Knitting Painter Woman said...

thanks for reminding me about the Lockheed/Coast Guard snafu. I heard it on NPR and didn't get the Youtube connection. too bad we don't protect whistle blowers any more. And too bad project/program managers dont take the long view about what is "good" and what is, um, shoddy or just plain cheating.

merlinprincesse said...

Yes, make the time! You're a good writer. And an intelligent person! :)

String said...

Cool, I am working on a sci-fi/reality story but I just don't make myself do it, but now I will. I wouldn't mind reading that one by Phillip K. Dick - right now I am on Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut and the Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot. My partner has just pulled out four more books for me and today I wanted to record some music - arrrggg.

Nice post, I really like what you said about elitism and info. I am on Myspace and have added people who send youtube info straight to my inbox, it's great. Many shows are not aired even on PBS - but are aired over here - and now I can watch them courtesy of a couple of Myspace friends.

Google runs this blog now what what I can see- there is a huge article on Rense about how they keep files on everything posted etc. Like the Snafu with AOL and posting the searches of members.

Tony LaRocca said...

I love "Sirens of Titan" Actually, I'm pretty much a nut for anything of Vonnegut's

Studio Zuga said...

love the light thru the window and the brick wall detail is great in contrast to the person sitting in the corner. another great insight too. gotta lov companies out for a buck. they'll do any thing for it. its there drug of choice.

LDahl said...

even some of the photos in the news are faked...believe me, this I know is true.
Selling stuff you don't need and ideas that are bunk...lovely.
Well, it keeps you on your toes:)))