Sunday, January 14, 2007

I Want My MTV

Illustration Friday: 80s


Optimus Prime, (from Transformers) in all his 80's glory.



Eight "e"s - get it?

Ah, the 80's: Hawaiian & Izod shirts with turned up collars, denim jackets, WPLJ ("Power 95,") MTV, Atari 2600, Weird Al Yankovic, Huey Lewis & the News, Aliens, Van Halen/ David Lee Roth, R.E.M., Howard the Duck, Men Without Hats, Heavy Metal & National Lampoon magazines, Transformers, G.I. Joe, The Cold War, Dr. Who, Star Trek TNG, Indiana Jones, The Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi, 10,000 Maniacs, Thursday nights with the Cosby Show, Family Ties & Night Court, Pat Benatar, Back to the Future, the great late Sam Kinison, my Ibanez Roadstar II, Iron Maiden, M.O.D. (Method of Destruction,) Nintendo, Tetris, Marvel Comics, Trivial Pursuit, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Danger Mouse, Buckaroo Bonzai, Men at Work, Billy Joel, Billy Idol, Twisted Sister, The Simpsons, Emo Philips, Batman, Smurfs, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Megadeath, the TRS-80 Model III, 286s with MS-DOS, an Apple 2e in every school library, BASIC, Hack (now "RevivedHack"), Pac-Man, Space Invaders, "Come On, Eileen," Eddie Murphy, D & D, Alex- my first girlfriend (poor thing,) my closest friends were Christian Karkow, Robert Eberly, Mike Looney (rest in peace,) Matt Petrakian, Jodi Simmons, Steve Whittaker, Dave Haenggi, Christopher Heekin, Jason LeDell, Julianne Watko, Gil "the Thrill" Hagovsky (stage name Gilbert Brady,) Wendy Hawk, Jay Tidwell, Brock Salsbury, Neslihan Kuyucu, Carol Benevy, Jeff Coyne, & His Indivisible Oneness- Christopher Witlox, Moonlighting, Infocom text adventures, A capella Choir & Madrigals, NJ All-State Choir 1989, Dire Straits, UHF, "We are the World," Stephen King, The Wrath of Kahn, five Hamsters, two parakeets, one eight-inch goldfish, a faklempt dog Elena named Bananas, VCRs, The B-52s, Ronald Regan, Sony Walkmans, "Gloria," The Blues Brothers, Animal House, Trading Places, Ghostbusters, Better Off Dead, AIDS, Truly Tasteless Jokes, M-M-M-M-Max Hedroom, "Where's the Beef," "I've fallen, & I can't get up!" Nancy Regan's "Just say, 'No!'" campaign, and William Annin Middle School, where any creativity or individuality was strategically beaten out of you.

Sorry the blog has been sparse as of late, but I really haven't had anything to complain about. Sure, I could have blogged that a 20k troop surge is too little too late, or that if Cindy Sheehan wants to protest real human rights violations in Cuba all she has to do is walk over to Castro's side & then see what happens, or that Bill Clinton was actually the president who pushed through the laws that give the government the right to snoop into your mail & library records (to catch the Unabomber) with no protest from the media or Al Gore whatsoever, or that FOX is CONSTANTLY PREEMPTING MY SUNDAY NIGHT CARTOONS FOR EVERY #!@%'ING REASON THEY CAN THINK OF... but these are minor kvetchings that cross my mind when I read the news.

What about that fifteen year old kid that was found after being kidnapped five years ago. In five years, he couldn't get to a phone?

Leave your 80s memories at the beep.

TTFN
-Tony

37 comments:

Aravis said...

Did I miss the references to parachute pants, big hair, leg-warmers and a single glove? That was quite the list and you took me back. Sometimes it was to a time I would have been happier forgetting, but it was pretty funny all the same. *G*

modroom said...

M.. M.. M.. Max Headroom is my favourite on your list!

Michelle Lana said...

Hehehe...my brothers used to watch transformers a lot...they also got me to watching it too! great work!

Twisselman said...

On the personal side, the birth of my two kids were the highs. Culturally, I remember a lot of spandex (not on me, thankfully) and that time-warping Back to the Future movie series. And yes, Transformers and MTV, though I was too old to enjoy either. Thanks for the memories.

ChristyMarcusLitster said...

wow that's quite the list you have there! haha. Nice sketch. It remind me of last halloween when some guy showed up to the place we went to as Optimus Prime, but he had these huge boots on that made him like 8 feet tall so they didn't let him in. He wasn't happy.

Nice illo!!!

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Nice illustration, and I enjoyed your list! I almost drew a Sony Walkman, and my first thought was an Izod shirt with the collar up.

Josy said...

Did I really not comment here yet? I fell in love with your background earlier.

Unfortunately, I was not particularly conscious of my surroundings in the 80s, and all I remember is Pee-Wee, chunky plastic beads, Ninja Turtles, and the occasional After-School Special.

Larry Lee said...

For some reason, I never watched Transformers. Probably I was too old to watch it myself and my kids weren't born yet to watch it with them.
I do like your take on the 8 'E's. Natural Logarithm, I believe.

Shano said...

I mostly miss Duran Duran. Oh wait. They're still alive.

Tony LaRocca said...

Modroom- I had an 8' Max Hedroom poster (along with an 8' Iron Maiden "Somewhere in Time" poster) that I hung on the ceiling over my bed. My mother used to beg me every day to take it down, as she was afraid she'd wake up one morning to find Max had fallen & smothered me.

Chippamunkey- What's wrong with an 8' tall Optimus? Girls dig that!

josy- ah, I forgot about Pee Wee's Playhouse, before he fell from favor...

Larry Lee- Yes, you got it! e is the constant of the natural logarithm! Welcome, fellow geek!

Alina Chau said...

HA! HA ! AWESOME!! YOu have a robot too!!

Anonymous said...

Haha, have to admit the 80's are a great big blurrrrr to me. Did enjoy reading what it was like for the rest of you, and excellent drawing!!! I protest againt this topic ... it's a number ... lots of numbers ... the topic is way too broad, which explains some of my blurriness.

Anonymous said...

Haha, have to admit the 80's are a great big blurrrrr to me. Did enjoy reading what it was like for the rest of you, and excellent drawing!!! I protest againt this topic ... it's a number ... lots of numbers ... the topic is way too broad, which explains some of my blurriness.

Anonymous said...

Haha, have to admit the 80's are a great big blurrrrr to me. Did enjoy reading what it was like for the rest of you, and excellent drawing!!! I protest againt this topic ... it's a number ... lots of numbers ... the topic is way too broad, which explains some of my blurriness.

Anonymous said...

Haha, have to admit the 80's are a great big blurrrrr to me. Did enjoy reading what it was like for the rest of you, and excellent drawing!!! I protest againt this topic ... it's a number ... lots of numbers ... the topic is way too broad, which explains some of my blurriness.

Hellcat said...

*pppfffffftt!*

Anonymous said...

My 80's memories are a bit different than most. You remember a Unabomber who became the Unibomber, but you never knew why. Here's why
Unabombers.com

Robert McLaughlin said...

Hi Tony,

You've got quite the list there. I'm pretty much with you on the social commentary. I'm really with you on the ROBOT.

Robert

String said...

Billy Idol and the Transformers for me!

Amy Zaleski said...

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed about the Sunday night cartoon thing on Fox as well! What the hell happened to "King of the Hill" anyway? Well football season will soon be over and maybe cartoons will be on track. What I want to know is why Fox still finds the need to throw some crappy sitcom in there after the Simpsons. Can't we have "Animation Domination" all the time?

Rayne said...

Do you know what really pisses me off about Fox? Every time they get a decent show they cancel it and replace it with something stupid!
How about YUPPIES, and DINKS? BMW's. Having the perfect body, perfect wardrobe and perfect car. Superficiallity ruled. (Is that even a word?) Designer lables on everything. Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Flashdance and what was that movie with Kevin Bacon and the town that outlawed dancing?
How about all of the slash and gore movies like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elmstreet?
White sport jackets with the sleeves pushed up.
Cocain. Lots and lots of cocain.
Not for me, thank you. Dissolving my nasal passages was not my idea of fun.

Rayne said...

Oh, and the Transformers? Totally cool!
He-Man was at his apex at that time also, wasn't he?

Princess Pepper Cloud said...

Transformers were so much better than the lame-0 go-bots. I was at the Academy of Sciences on a school fieldtrip when we saw some of the filming of Howard the Duck. Great list.

Studio Zuga said...

uhmm i guess some of it i knew from a diff decade or caught up with it when i got back in the late 80s

Caroline said...

I love your picture it really works well... as to the 80s... not a decade I'm yearning to return to!

Craig J. Clark said...

Speak of '80s, and they appear. I'm listening to a Beach Boys CD as I'm typing this and "Kokomo" just come on -- and was immediately skipped. I swear, that song may have made them a truckload of money, but it did more to damage their reputations than they could have ever imagined at the time. (John Stamos on percussion? Really? But he's the guy from Full House!)

Craig J. Clark said...

Oh, for the ability to edit comments. That should read "and 'Kokomo' just came on."

I'm not an idiot, but I do occasionally play one on the internet.

Tony LaRocca said...

Craig- I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV! (T-4 days & counting...)

Princess- Go-bots sucked big time. The worst thing about Go-bots were that they were animated to be exactly like the toys- curved hands and all. Wasn't the bad guy a bike or something? I was thinking more of the HTD comic book than the abominable movie- though the idea of Lea Thompson coming on to a duck was pretty darn funny.

Rayne- my favorite 80's horror (how could I have forgotten to add it?) was Hellraiser. I'll never forget when the aforementioned Chris Witlox & I saw Hellraiser 2 in the movie theater, only to be more entertained by the couple having sex in the back seats! That was back when two fifteen year olds could see a rated R movie without anyone caring.

Inkster said...

my brother used to have those transformers on his underpants! So much so that he referred to any underwear as 'transformers' lol
Thanks for drawing it
and ur 8(e). very geeky. i think i'm in love
ha!

steve said...

Excellent Tony--you pretty much summed it up too!

Tony LaRocca said...

Hey, I liked Mr. Spear... I think he would have been happier making TV programs than teaching about them.

kookyknut said...

Being born in 1980 I think the 80s for me was all about cartoons. Thunder cats, TMNT, Smurfs etc. Thanks for reminding me what it was really all about. I was hoping to create a rendering of the back whel of a bike with spokey-dokeys on it but ran out of time.

BTW, Imajica is my fave book as well :)

kookyknut said...

I uploaded a last minute cop-out on my blog. I'm so very clever sometimes. ;)

kitty chaos said...

cool sketch. check out optimus prime in the ultimate showdown cartoon on utube. from the 12 year old

Muzbot said...

Hi Tony, Great 80's list. Looking forward to your next illustration and blog entry.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

Pretty impressive, although (in the name of completeness) I think that an encapsulation of the 80s is incomplete without SOME mention of the immortal John Spear
Nice job, otherwise. :)

sincerely,
His Indivisible Oneness

catnapping said...

Eric Dickerson shattering all the running back records!