StatCounter

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Every smile you fake/ Every claim you stake...

Illustration Friday: I Spy

I love drawing pictures like this, when the background story is so ambiguous yet so interesting. (And I was so close to drawing a picture of Bill Cosby)

There's a disturbing trend in the internet market: no one wants you to own anything anymore. If you actually DO pay for a downloaded song or an e-book, you can only use them on one or two allowed devices. More and more software (virus software, for example) requires a yearly fee to use. Online games have monthly fees. Google has plans for an online office suite for rent- you pay a yearly fee to use it, and you can only use it online. Magazines like Wired talk about the glorious future, when all software will be on internet servers and people won't have to have bulky computers anymore. Does this frighten anyone else but me?

There's been all kinds of buzz about the Hillary Clinton 1984 ad. I can't help but remember when she carpetbagged her way into the New York senate in 2000. "The Friends of Hillary" put out many false & misleading television ads about her opponent, Rick Lazio. While he was spending most of his money denying these ads, they a) didn't cost Hillary a dime, & b) while she admitted they were mostly untrue, she refused to denounce them. In fact, when, at a debate, Lazio demanded she sign a contract to end her soft-money contributions, her supporters were able to spin away from the issue entirely, shifting the focus onto him & his (in my opinion, justified) anger. So in short, I have no sympathy, baby.

Going to take Joe to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles today. I hope that Krang is in it (the little brain thing that was in the other guy's stomach.) He was my favorite.

TTFN
-Tony

14 comments:

mike Lemos said...

Hey Tony,
I agree with you on where the whole digital world is taking us, that and world politics seems to be going there as well, to a scary place....
Your illustration captures what I feel everyone is worried about, taking away our freedoms for "security"...

Rayne said...

I remember when the internet was touted as the place for freedom of expression, no boundries, open for all, but once again, the greed has taken over and people are trying to suck as much money out of it as they can.
Excellent illustration. Very 1984'ish.

studio lolo said...

Scary ( but cool) eyeball camera! I'm with you on this week's rantings.

Caroline said...

Scary stuff....

think of us in "the rest of the world" we don't even get to vote in your elections yet it makes one heck of a difference to us...

Aravis said...

My 9th grade English teacher was married to one of the co-creators of TMNT and gave us all copies of their first couple of issues to help promote it. We all thought it hilarious, a joke. It was the name, you see. Guess the joke was on us, eh? *G*

I love this illo. I've felt like the little guy huddled in the corner before, poor thing. It's a good thing you expend your evil genius in your art instead of in the real world.

But then, you might do that too for all I know! ;0)

Studio Zuga said...

got to lov hillary, big brother and the net pay as u go ive seen 2 out of 3 coome to pass lets hope i dont live to see everything i have be on the net. share ware, share mylife.com after all its already got a myspace for me. oh lov ur big eye ball camera all knowing, all seeing, and all powerful

Sweet Harvey LLC said...

Poor little guy! I would be huddled up too!

Nat Zigal said...

That is a VERY instrusive eye. I wish I could give your guys a lead vest or somthing. Great image.

String said...

Scary! Hilary I mean, not your eye...well it is too!

steve said...

Yeah, it would be nice to actually own something for once, and that seems to be less and less these days. The eye pic is great too--kind of scary, making me think of another growing trend in technology--the cameras all over the place now, which has its good and bad points. Anyhow, I never been a huge "TMNT" fan (believe it or not) but the new film looks pretty fun. I've always liked Splinter. In fact when we'd give our dog a bath as kids, we'd call her Splinter 'cause she looked like a bh, wet rat.

carla said...

Power and control... all in the name of making money. Oh well... does that mean we should end up huddled in the corner? I think not!

Ian T. said...

The pic is perfect for this topic, and really creepily composed!

I know what you mean about the ownership thing - all it needs is an undersea earthquake, or a couple of stone martens chewing an optic cable (depending on where you are), and we're back to the information stone age. That's one reason I love having a house full of books and hardcopy CDs... and LPS :).

Anonymous said...

I love seeing your drawings like this one Tony ;)

Everyone experiences 'angst' about changes. You ARE getting old Tony!

It helps not to be afraid of those with power and control by remembering they are just people like you and me. Or are they ...

Alina Chau said...

Love the expression on the little guy!!