StatCounter

Saturday, March 17, 2007

I don't know what to do/ I'm always in the dark/ We're living in a powder keg/ & givin' off sparks...

Illustration Friday: Total


"Total." What to do, what to do, what to do. Draw a math problem? Cereal? A car getting smashed? I decided to do this... whatever the hell it is (60's album cover?) while watching Vertigo. I zoomed the PPC in at 4x, started with the profile eye (facing right) in the center, and just drew image after image, not looking at the whole thing until it was done. Can you find...
1) The Dalek?
2) The Satanic Sun?
3) The meaning of life (according to Douglas Adams)
4) Half of Bilbo Baggins' door?
5) General Zod trapped in the Phantom Zone?

Vertigo is a great movie. Not to question the master, but wouldn't it have been even better if the audience found out "what was going on" the same time Scotty did at the end, & not halfway through the picture? Also, as much of a honey as Kim Novak was back in the day, what in tarnation is up with the eyebrows? Is that what chicks did in the 50's? Shave off their eyebrows & re-draw them over half their skulls with a wide magic marker?

My old friend Carol is getting married in NJ tomorrow. I hope it stops sleeting & that they actually plow my street so we can go. She actually went so far as to say the kids could come, so we wouldn't have to go nuts trying to find a sitter. For that alone, she deserves a lifetime of happiness. (Sorry, I'm a guy- I never saw what the big deal was with not allowing kids. It's supposed to be a joyous ceremony- not a show that you videotape to bore the hell out of your family later.)

I've been playing the new Sam & Max games. The price is right & they're a lot of fun, however the Lucas Arts original was much better. ("That's no head, Max- it's one damned ugly time bomb!") I guess real time rendered 3d is a lot cheaper to do, so the cell-animated adventure games of yore are legends of the past. Sigh. I've also been working on False Idols for the first time since my hard drive crashed last year... I may actually finish it sometime! I also hope Mandy stops bouncing around and stays in bed- paranoid daddies can't sleep when their 3-year-olds wander around the apartment at 2am...

TTFN
-Tony

PS 10 points to whoever can point out the relevance in this week's lyrical title...

23 comments:

studio lolo said...

Hey...is it "A Total Eclipse of the Heart?" by I can't quite remember???? Kim Carnes?

Cool illo Tony! Have fun at Carol's wedding :)

Ellen Byrne said...

Your illo says it all! I really like it!

Studio Zuga said...

ur heading sounds like a bonnie tyler song. nice drawing but now i wanna see it totally colored in

Penny Cork said...

About Vertigo, one of my all time favorites! Hey, my husband and I actually stayed in the York Hotel in San Francisco, which used the be the Empire Hotel, used in the movie.

I used to be a florist, and regarding weddings, so many people treat them like a Hollywood production, rather than as you said, a joyous celebration. Maybe that's part of the reason that many marriages fail? Too much emphasis place on the crap that doesn't matter. (IMHO) Okay, it's not so humble! ;)

Penny :)

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Nice work, Tony! And I love Hitchcock, and Vertigo. I especially like Rear Window.

andrea said...

TOTALly manic. And now I have a little hankering for Hitchcock...

harmoniousjosh said...

Glad to see you got the meaning of life in there.

I'd say it's almost done - all you need is the kitchen sink.

Aravis said...

Thanks for the earworm, Tony! Great illustration. There's so much to see!

Vertigo is a classic, and yes, women really did that to their eyebrows. And yes, it's distracting. *G*

Ivan Chan Studio said...

Dude, you're a trip! Followed you from a comment you left on my pal Penny's blog!

(We have an almost similar title for our blog entries last Tuesday, March 13!)

Anyway, pleased to make your acquaintance!

I.

steve said...

Geez, I still need to see vertigo--been on my list a while. As for the lyrics, I'm not sure. As for the illo, I'm blown away (no pun intended)!!! Love the little Dalek in there too.

merlinprincesse said...

I easily found the Dalek.... Mwhahhahahaha! But I only found the Meaning of Life according to Monthy Pythons...... Is that all right? :)

Anonymous said...

Find SPAAAACE in Tony's head? Nope. Hhahhhahaaaaa. Totally complex thought Tony, thoughts ... drippings from inside your brain :)

Rrramone said...

dude, nice one. it could make me crazier than i already am. fyi, is the title of your blog a shout out to ren and stimpy?? ;-)

Ammon said...

I just hit my nose on the screen trying to find everything. Nice work and great illustration.

Tony LaRocca said...

studio: You're the closest- but it was Bonnie Tyler, Not Kim Carnes (I understand- 80's blondes w/ big hair & throaty voices.) God, I puked the day I heard the 90's dance version...

Merlinprincesse: Yes, Monty Python did have a great movie called "The Meaning of Life" In this case, however, go read "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or rent the movie (though I prefer the original 80's BBC miniseries- the effects are cheesier, but at least it's not dumbed down & Americanized. Plus Dr. Who #5 plays the cow.)

rramone: Yes! Viva la Ren & Stimpy! Get it? Log... Blog? I crack myself up. In fact, I used to have a sound byte from the Log song ("It's better than bad, it's good!") that played whenever someone opened the page, but it got annoying- or so I was told. If you don't understand what we're talking about, check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H03PyhbRjSY

HARDWAX said...

I could find only two things to total for my post Looks like you've counted up everything in the known universe and put it on paper. Bravo!

I think Hitchcock hated Kim Novak and made her wear ugly eyebrows.

french toast girl said...

I want to print this out and let the kids color it in. ♥

love, me

Susan Tuttle said...

Awesome piece!--so much detail!

Susan

String said...

Myself I am partial to the moon.

Tony Sarrecchia... said...

A Dalek--how cool is that. Great job.

ValGalArt said...

Total Eclipse of the Heart, Bonnie Tyler! Love this Tony!!!

Larry Lee said...

Nice take on the topic. I found all of the items. Is there a Star Wars reference in there?

Tony LaRocca said...

You know, I didn't think to make one at the time, but there is a U.S.S. Enterprise for all you Star Trek fans :)