Friday, April 13, 2007

Agents of Fortune (which was a great album by Blue Oyster Cult, BTW...)

Illustration Friday: Fortune


It's been so long since I ranted about the world today... so much bullshit passed by...

Let's start with the whole Don Imus thing. (The guy who got fired from morning radio for offhandedly referring to black female basketball players as "nappy haired hos") I don't really care if he was fired or not- Imus hasn't been funny since the 80s when he was on coke. But God in heaven, WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL? The governor of NJ was in a car accident last night... while he was on his way to attend Imus' apology to the Rutgers team- AT THE GOVERNOR'S MANSION. That's right: a stupid single remark made by a geriatric has-been on talk radio is of such tremendous importance that a state governor has to get involved. I'm sure that while this has been front page news here in NY for the past week, somewhere, buried on page twenty, were actual violent acts of racism. But what the hell are actions compared to what a celebrity says? Personal note to Al Sharpton (who led the witch hunt that caused Imus's firing): If calling black women "hos" is so degrading, why don't you go after rap artists who use the word every third beat? Just kidding, we all know why...

Here's a good one for you dream analysts: The other night I dreamed that a friend of mine had to take a drug test and asked me for help, so I added my urine to his. (In a dream, this made sense.) Afterwards, I looked at our combined cocktail through a microscope & saw that there were about twenty bony little worms swimming in there. His parasites started fighting my parasites, and they all destroyed each other, until the sample was one big bloody mess. Come on, someone tell me what this means...

TTFN
-Tony

P.S. RIP, Kurt Vonnegut- one of the last great science fiction writers- & his fictional alter-ego, Kilgore Trout. I've read every word, from Player Piano to Timequake. Thanks for Slaughterhouse V, Slapstick, Cat's Cradle, The Sirens of Titan, Hocus-Pocus, Breakfast of Champions... the list goes on & on. You will sorely be missed.

19 comments:

Roberto Picasso said...

Well now Tony.

I'm not sure at all what your dream means, but it sure was wierd!

I dreamt last night about becoming an arms dealer (as in Lords of War) just to make ends meet. My wife questioned what I was being so secretive about, but eventually let up when I showered her with money.

Figure THAT one out. ;>)

I like your comments on Imus. Why are we all so ready to get offended and call for someone's dismissal because they are crass and foul?

What about Howard Stern? What about Rap? What about Bill Cl...

Aw, forget it.

Roberto Picasso

(AKA Robert McLaughlin)

Joe said...

LOL! You and I are on the same wave, well almost!

andrea said...

I'll avoid interpreting your dreams, Tony, but do feel *fortunate* to have dropped by... :)

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

I like your illustration, and it made me laugh. And I enjoyed your rant. While the Imus thing was unfortunate, I think I hate most seeing all the publicity hungry bloodsuckers "jump on the bandwagon" to get themselves in the press. Nauseating.

Anonymous said...

I sthat a magot inside the fortune cookie Tony? Your dream means you will both end up being eaten by worms. Heehee

Craig J. said...

So sad about Vonnegut. I've read about half of his books. Vonnegut would probably disagree with me, but I would say that means my glass is half-full.

Rayne said...

You dream could mean so many different things. It's your subconscious warning you that you are your friend are urinely incompatible? Or that maybe you have both been eating too much undercooked pork? Perhaps it's a warning not to travel to Tijuana this year or maybe it's a sign that the Great Pasta Lords are soon to land and take over the world?
And as for the whole Imus thing? In this country it's all about celebrity worship no matter how old and out of the lime-light they may be. Real news is of no interest to the syndicates. I swear sometimes it's treated like filler.

Caroline said...

Funny fortune cookie.

I've never heard of Imus.

But I've no idea why rap artists do get away with what they say... I'd shoot the lot of them but they'd probably enjoy that too much ;-)

Your dream - I think it means that you are fed up with someone and want to mess up his test results but you've projected it out quite a long way... and I doubt your friend is the person you were aiming at either.

ChristyMarcusLitster said...

fortune cookie = hillarious!

Funny rant and so true. Very sad about Vonnegut... although my head has been in the sand so long I didn't know until I read your post that he died. Thanks for ruining my night! j/k

Ellen Byrne said...

Very clever! Nice drawing!

Studio Zuga said...

ur dream means that 2 pees aren't really better then 1. nice cookie

Aravis said...

Good illo, and I agree with your rant 100%. I really like what Digital Scott's Illustrationblog had to say as well.

carla said...

You always seem to be able to put things into perspective. I have to say that I agree with you on the Imus situation... it is really unfortunate on so many levels, and pretty absurd any way you want to look at it. And yes... the governor is now lying in a hospital bed over this nonsense.

Your dream.. haven't a clue, but I luaghed at your fortune cookie drawing:>

Nat Zigal said...

Hahaha! That's the best fortune cookie message ever! I hope you sent the rescue squad.

I don't quite know why your urine is duking it out with your friends urine. I hope you guys resolve things quickly though. Bloody urine is no fun.

Michelle Lana said...

Haha...cool one tony!

Issi said...

Hello Tony :o))
How are you?
Great fortune :o))
Best Wishes,
Issi

Andrea said...

That would freak me out!

Ian T. said...

Tony, that's an excellent spin on the Topic - great pic, caption and gag! The worm dream... hm, let's not go there :).

mag.nolia said...

That's a fun illo! :D

Your dream means that you are very imaginative :D Sorry, I'm bad at interpreting dreams! »