StatCounter

Saturday, April 21, 2007

A Polish guy walks into a blog & says...

Illustration Friday: Polar


Note THIS IS NOT THE ILLUSTRATION! My illustration for "Polar" is a brand new Webby episode & can be found HERE! (If you want to read the whole saga, click the main page here. I don't know how to link to a frame- I think it involves some sort of javascript or something.)

The beautiful & multitalented Rayne has requested that I explain what Nethack is. Nethack is the third evolution of Rogue- a very old IBM game (a little too old, when compared to the other versions.) Personally, I prefer the second evolution, Hack (now available for Windows as Revived Hack.) Nethack has many more monsters, potions, spells, ect- but is almost impossible to win.

Load up Nethack or Revived hack & you'll see... AWESOME 286 MS-DOS ASCII GRAPHICS! Yes, back in them days, we didn't need fancy graphics to play games- not when there are 26 letters of the alphabet- 52 if you include capital & lower-case, & numbers & punctuation marks as well!

Turn off that num-lock key & start hacking! You're going into the depths of the Dungeons of Doom to seek the Amulet of Yendor. But this isn't a simple up-down-left-right game- Almost every letter on your keyboard- upper & lowercase- is a command! you can drink potions, read scrolls, engrave the floor, throw, wield weapons, change your armor, cast spells, loot treasure, kick doors, dip items in holy water, eat (& eating different monsters will give you different immunities) & when all else fails, pray. (Just be sure you haven't pissed off your personal god or goddess...) So what's so hard about all this, you ask? Only that while you can save & load, you can't re-load! Once you die (or quit) you have to start all over again. Bwahahahahaa.

So go back to the days of the 80s- when computer games were interesting & fun to play, & best of all, FREE!

TTFN
-Tony

10 comments:

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Simple, yet very effective and expressive! Great work.

Studio Zuga said...

it says it all for me. like how u threw in a lil of ur electrical know how

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have minded Wakowski's whining .. they weren't good friends! Hope Polaris is nice :)

studio lolo said...

Huh??

Michelle Lana said...

Tony, you're so funny...

Caroline said...

You are making me feel like playing nethack... its such a long time since I did... but no... I managed to come off it once... I'm not going to get addicted again...

Tony Sarrecchia... said...

Great story. Nethack sounds a lot like the old Adventure game ('you are in a long cave of twisty passages').

Knitting Painter Woman said...

You lost me on this one. I did love "Adventure" though. Back when I was married to a REAL nerd.

Jennifer Blake said...

I liked it.... ! found so many choices as well... !... Well done.

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Does he like that film The Bipolar Express ?