Thursday, May 24, 2007

Caveat Emptor, aka, Read the Reviews!

I've been collecting the SNL DVDs of 20-30 years ago, when the show was actually funny. So far, I have the greats- Dan Akroyd, John Belushi, & Steve Martin. Today I purchased Eddie Murphy, because a friend once borrowed my copy of the hysterical VHS version that was released in the early 90s & moved without giving it back.

As you can guess from the title, I should have read the reviews first, because apparently EVERYTHING CONTROVERSIAL THAT WAS ON THE VHS HAS BEEN OMITTED FROM THE DVD. Most of the Mr. Robinson sketches- gone. The news segment where Eddie announces that the Emancipation Proclamation has been repealed ("By all means, take him home, enjoy your Negro!")- gone. The "Cotton-Land" commercial with Eddie & Stevie Wonder- gone. The Galactic Prophylactic commercial- gone. Eddie telling white teenage viewers that since they have no hope of ever being as famous as he is, they should "drop out of school, get each other pregnant, & play Space Invaders," -gone. Most of the Velvet Jones commercials- gone. And worst of all, the Rastafarian singing "Kill the White People" at the VFW talent show- gone. Instead, the DVD has been filled with mediocre but safe sketches where even no one in the audience is laughing.

I don't get it. DVDs are supposed to contain more material- not less. The only exception I can think of is the Director's Cut of Star Trek the Motion Picture DVD which- with about 20 minutes of extremely boring crap cut out- is vastly improved. (There are reasons it's often referred to as Star Trek the Slow-Motion Picture, or my personal favorite, Star Trek the Motionless Picture, but I digress.) Of course, after watching my truncated DVD, I checked out Amazon. For some reason, even though almost all of the 40 reviews only give the DVD one star for its sanitation, it has an average rating of 3 & 1/2 stars. Can't figure that one out. Yes, I can.

So, Mr. Murphy, if you're out there- what gives? Is it that you're trying to cover your tracks in hope that the Shrek generation doesn't know that you used to be one of the funniest-although controversial- comedians alive? Or are you planned to release a special edition DVD so those who paid for the original can spend extra money for what they were expecting in the first place? I went back on Amazon & found a copy of the VHS for $2.99 + shipping. A small but vital blow against the PC worms that are infesting the world.

TTFN
-Tony

4 comments:

Rayne said...

Political correctness ruins yet another thing.
Censorship so pisses me off.

french toast girl said...

Oh, that's depressing. I bet Eddie had no say in what goes on there, though.

Craig J. said...

If you go on eBay, I think there was an older version of that DVD. (Check for a different cover.) We had both at my store and I think they had different running times.

wildsnowflake said...

if you get ripped off on ebay... i think i have a copy of that snl tape somewhere.