StatCounter

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Dreams of Skiing in the Summer?

I just woke from a dream where the land behind my parents' house was solid ice and snow. It was the middle of the night in the dead of winter. My father wanted me to race down- which I did, no problem- even though I never skied in my life. No one else was there. I trudged back up the hill by walking up Lyons Rd., in the snowy gutter, with cars whizzing by me, my skis over my shoulder.

When I got to the top of the hill, it had a locked gate. I explained I was here to race. My skis were now gone, and so was my digital camera, (I had no reason why, but it was important at the time.) I resignedly took the camera for a loss and asked if I could borrow skis. The dream quickly degenerated into a typical "school with no homework" dream; I couldn't find the skis I borrowed, and when I thought I did, they wouldn't lace up correctly. Weirder still, Elena and an old friend Steve, (whom I haven't seen in about seventeen years,) were trying to help me.

As I've never skied in my life, haven't watched Better off Dead or any other 80s ski movie in years, and it's almost June, I have NO idea where this one came from. The only constant is that it took place at my parents' house, along with about 90% of my dreams. Maybe I'm haunting the place...

TTFN
-Tony

7 comments:

Caroline said...

Sounds like you have an urge to learn new skills though grounded in old terrain!

bluerose said...

Somebody told me once that when you dream about places, especially houses, from your childhood, and everything including the people are the same, but your an adult, it symbolizes a spiritual place for you. Maybe you're missing or have lost something spiritual. I've had several dreams about the house I grew up in, also.

Craig J. said...

"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn."

I know it's been a long time since I saw that because I had to look it up to make sure I had the quote right.

Rayne said...

Maybe you are wishing you could go back home again?
And then again, maybe it's just a dream.
The other night I dreamed about panda bees. Seriously, the were the size of bumble bees but they were marked like pandas and they were very adorable and they hummed pretty songs until they got pissed off and started humming Pink Floyd songs and stinging me.

Tony LaRocca said...

Rayne- I can top that- when I was a kid, I remember having a nightmare that my father was going to be executed by giant bumblebees for stealing a can of Bumble-Bee Tuna. I shit you not.

Craig- I thought I'd tell you- YOU were the one shaving half my beard off in an earlier dream (see earlier post) with a straight-razor. Odd, as you are a very good bearded playwright yourself...

As for "Better Off Dead," there are so many fantastic quotes, I could be here all day. By far my favorite is, "Gee, Ricky, I'm sorry we blew your mom up."

String said...

You are certainly capable of haunting...have the noticed?

Jennifer Blake said...

ice is usually cold, unless its hot ice... but you said winter. You needed to ski... you went up a hill... (you have to go somewhere... looking to improve or change.... when you get there.. the gates locked.(maybe you are afraid of stepping across), you find you havent the comfortable baggage you like to carry around with you...(camera and skis) but .... you try to move foreward... nothing is working the way it should. Unfortunately... somewhere you cant let go of something.. cause the ski people up there keep bringing it up problems.. and throwing it in your face when you want to leave it behind... and then you have other people with kind intent....but nothing seems to be working.... . Dr. computer chair here says..... (maybe you should try a bunnyhill first...)