Friday, May 04, 2007

Help, I'm a Primate Trapped in an Insect's Body

Illustration Friday: Neighbor

Note 1: The following is a thought experiment, and not an attempt to excuse or condemn certain behaviors or life-styles. Please consider this before you flame.

Note 2: Though the basis for most of these ideas can be found in Robert Anton Wilson's novel,
Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy, most of the conclusions are my own.

As I crammed my body onto the packed E-Train with the rest of the herd, it hit me: We're all primates who are turning into insects. The advancement of technologies have allowed us to build cities of hives, burrow through tunnels, (even roads, though on the surface, are still basically tunnels, as you cannot divert from them,) and- for the most part- live solely for the betterment of the colony (more on that later.) Even the suburbs are built just to support or provide dormitories for those who work in the nearest hive.

This explains most of what is considered unacceptable behavior. We are primates who are trying to adjust to living as bugs- something we weren't made to do. Natural primate behavior- especially male aggressiveness- is frowned upon more and more, except on the sports field. Laws are passed (by both liberals and conservatives) that restrict freedom of thought and word, trying to conform the world to behavior that is acceptable for a hive, where everyone must get along. This causes a lot of emotional distress, as people often are afraid or embarrassed to express their anger, or any thoughts that do not conform to the hive mentality. (i.e.: I'm sure the majority of people didn't see the big deal over the whole Don Imus broo-ha-ha, but would never admit it for fear of being branded insensitive or a racist. Another example is how everyone tries so desperately to find a "safe" stance on abortion- one that won't offend their friends who may think differently.)

As a consequence, the majority of us lead lives that serve no other purpose than to further the hive. (We work to live or buy whatever leisure products the television insists we need. We spend all of our leisure time in front of said television or surfing the net.) How does this help the hive? The queen (government) gets a piece of every paycheck & purchases in the form of taxes. However, those in government tend to spend most of the tribute on themselves, being primates who are freed by privilege from the constraints of the hive mentality.

Another technological step toward insect-hood is the explosion in communications. We all walk around with antennas in our pockets. When we go home, we hook up to a computer system that connects the minds of everyone in the hive. We all read the same books, and watch the same movies and television shows, (I'm sorry, I consider American Idol a blight upon the land,) to share the same experiences.

The result is that we are miserable, confused, living in over-populated hives in a way we were never meant to do. But nature is adapting. Perhaps homosexuality and our growing acceptance of it is merely an evolutionary response to over-population. Nature, realizing we have a sex drive but we are also over-populated, turns some people's desires to a direction that does not encourage procreation. (I know, there were always homosexuals and that some wish to adopt or be fertilized, but I'm talking about the majority.) More and more of us are becoming content to stay inside and hook ourselves up to the hive mind. I'm not saying these turns of events are good or bad- that's for you to decide. But, to paraphrase Robert Wilson, the next time you read the news and wonder, "how can people DO that?" or feel terrified that if anyone knew what you were REALLY thinking they'd think you were a "no-good-shit," just remember- we're all just primates trying to live in an insect's world.

TTFN
-Tony

15 comments:

RHoward said...

Right on, dude! I could not agree with you more.

And for the record, Imus got shafted. If that sentence had been used in a rap lyric we'd all be talking about how cutting edge it was.

Studio Zuga said...

brillant take on it all now i know why the world is soo nappy headed its wound to tight.

imwithsully said...

How the heck do you find time to think of this stuff? I admire your comments and not caring about flamers. You are an original! Keep posting these thought-provoking rants. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm either a dying or new species. Don't watch much television - never watch adds and avoid all advertising online. Never had a mobile phone, don't even have a home phone but live inside computer.... yep dying, but have beautiful wings ;) Off to roll some dung ... PS: your tail looks funny!

Tony LaRocca said...

Anony- not even Dr. Who?
I tried making the tail look more prehensile- it's not as easy as it looks!

Laura McDowell said...

Tony...

Hmm...Kind of reminds me of another 80's movie..."The Fly". But yours has a much more realistic plot ;-).

BTW-Thank you for going down memory lane with me :-).

ValGalArt said...

Another poke at my mind from the Tone! Hey I'm so glad you are in here or out there or you know what i mean!!! The whole Imus thing was the dumbest thing I've heard of yet!

Aravis said...

Uh oh. I agree with you regarding American Idol. Does this mean you and I are in the same hive, albeit a different one from the majority? *G*

Tony LaRocca said...

Bee- I much preferred the '50s Vincent Price version "Heeeeelllp meeeeeeeeee!"

Lou said...

oo-oo-ah-ah buzz buzz

I'm afraid to admit that I am at the heart of your post. My job requires me to be on the Internet constantly. I have a cell phone practically strapped to my side (Thank God I have not become a cyborg yet with the earpiece with the blue light. BTW, what is up with those people. Are they that important that they need to answer the call that quickly?) and look forward to relaxing at night to a reality or home improvement show of some sort. Most times I do not even care what it is, as long as I'm with my wife.

Joy Eliz said...

Very interesting! I'm glad you spoke your mind :)

Anonymous said...

OF COURSE I watch Dr Who ... it's on our safe 'no advertisments' channel. Tape other science fiction shows to fast forward through the adds :) Hellcat would fight for that prehensile tail
};-}

Jennifer Blake said...

smiling.. great rant...and interesting flow of thought that is quite easy to follow.. unlike others...

I guess you might say... it (nudge nudge) .. Bugs you.... ....

buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I like the illo too!

arvindh said...

ha ha this is a fun illo!

String said...

Beware the wasp people! Gosh this post, great post btw, reminds me of a very bad dream I had about being converted into the wasp hive, and having to escape from the Queen! Of course I was astral too, just to confound things.