StatCounter

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Woah-oh, We're Halfway there/ Woah-oh, Living on a Prayer...

Even before I read Scott Adams' thought experiment God’s Debris, (free e-book!) I’ve always wondered if we are all parts of God. It seems to me that we are always doing His will; we are the ones who answer prayers for Him. (Baring prayers for acts of nature, such as the end to a drought.) Doctors do God’s will in healing, but we also answer His prayers in many other ways- ways we may not think of as kind and loving; i.e., a soldier on the battlefield's prayers for survival are often answered by the death of the enemy. It's not always that drastic. People’s prayers for employment are answered when someone else hires them. Sometimes, hardest of all, we have to answer our own prayers.

Sadly, this view limits Gods abilities- though possibly by His choice- to that of human knowledge. Although I’m not an atheist, I have to admit they have a point when they ask that if God is all powerful, why doesn’t he ever cure amputees? Let’s take it one step further. If there is- in an infinite universe- other planets with life, and such life possibly has a more advanced science than that of life on Earth, does He then choose to limit His prayer-answering abilities to Earth's available science, or is God a localized phenomenon? You don’t even have to leave Earth to wonder this- a doctor of modern medicine can cure appendicitis, while the witchdoctor of a primitive tribe cannot. Does this mean God cares more about answering the prayers of those in modern societies more than he does those who pray in the third world, or, as mentioned before, that his prayer-answering abilities are limited to local science? And if so, is it not then in God's best interest for us to further science as much as possible?

Thoughts?

TTFN
-Tony

4 comments:

Aravis said...

Like you, I'm not an atheist but I'm also not part of any organized religion. For me, I came to the conclusion that there is probably one God/Force/Call It What You Want, who has presented himself ("himself" used for simplicity's sake) to each culture as they will most readily accept him. If this is the case, then it wouldn't be that God cares less for one culture's problems than another's, but rather that some cultures could accept technologies or practices (acupuncture for example) which others wouldn't. Free will and individuality played its part, and now we have the cultural and religious differences which you've mentioned and which have led to so much trouble.

Just some initial thoughts...

Bron Smith said...

I'm intrigued by the God's Debris book. I hope to find time to download it and read it. Scott Adams, of Dilbert fame? Who knew.

Rayne said...

I, too, have complicated beliefs. I believe in a higher power. I believe we are all part of that higher power. I believe that there is a lot more to us than we realize and are still learning and evolving. I believe the mind/spirit/body combination is an incredible force we just haven't learned how to use it yet, but we are getting there.
I believe that God doesn't let bad things happen, we do. And we have to learn on our own how to stop it.
Kind of like being big, dangerous, stupid kids that haven't grown up yet. We just keep repeating the same mistakes over and over until we learn.
Eventually we'll get it right.

Aravis said...

I like that, Rayne, and so agree.