Illustration Friday: Discovery
I don't know who these guys are, but they're out to discover something.
I fully admit that I did no research or use any reference photos. It's sort of a mish-mash of what I think an ancient ship discovering strange new countries would look like.
GEEK QUIZ ANSWERS
1) The Transformers were invented by the Quintessons. This, of course, was not in the Michael Bay film, as it actually would involve a bit of creative science fiction & story telling.
2) Schrödinger's Cat simultaneously exists in the states of being alive and dead- until someone opens the box. Kudos to Aravis & Ian T.
3) On Doctor Who, the first incarnation of The Doctor had a granddaughter, Susan. Good job again Ian T.
4) The U.S.S. Enterprise's insignia is NCC-1701. Good job Elena (aka French Toast Girl) & Loni Edwards.
5) In NetHack, as in regular Hack, eating a floating eye gives you clairvoyance (you can see other creatures anywhere in the level when you are blind.) Again, nice work Elena.
6) In the book 2001 & the film & book 2010, David Bowman's last words as a human were "My God- it's full of stars!"
7) e is the constant for the inverse of the natural logarithm. Say that three times fast.
8) In Dune, a Crysknife is made from the tooth of a giant worm. Elena once again lets her geekiness shine.
9) Wookies come from Kashyyyk, that place with all the tree forts in Revenge of the Sith.
10) The Knights Who Say "Ni" cannot abide the word "it." "Suffice to say, it is one of the words the Knights of Ni cannot hear!... No, it's not 'is,' you can't get very far in life not saying 'is!'" Good job Aravis, Elena, and Ian.
Bonus Questions for the supreme geek!
1) What is the meaning of life? (If you're a true geek, you'll know the answer I'm looking for immediately.)
2) Why did the HAL9000 murder the crew of the Discovery?
3) What was the first appearance of Boba Fett?
4) Define "Grok."
5) What does Ubik fix?