Friday, September 14, 2007

In God We Trust...?

I'm sure many of you have received a forwarded email decrying that the new dollar coins omit the phrase "In God we trust," quickly followed by an email stating that no, the motto is still there, it's just around the edge of the coin. This of course, is followed by another email from the original sender, decrying that the religious motto has been demoted from the face of the coin to the edge, followed by an email from a less religious friend who asks, "What about the separation of church & state?" and so on and so forth. I'm not offended by the phrase, but I have to admit my curiosity is tickled- both by the motto's opponents and its defenders.

To my mind, people either believe in God or they don't. If you don't believe in God, then the phrase is meaningless. The only problem is that if you do believe in God, the phrase is also meaningless. The question is, what exactly are people trusting God to do? If God is, by definition, all powerful, then He's going to do whatever He pleases. So people are basically saying they're trusting God to... be God.

I, of course, prefer to take the third interpretation: It's the coins themselves that trust in God, and are declaring it for all the world to see. Good for them.

TTFN
-Tony

4 comments:

Knitting Painter Woman said...

Well, I've always heard that money talks.....

merlinprincesse said...

Money talk but have no ears! :) You made me laugh, Tony! :))))

Aravis said...

That's a pretty good way of breaking it down. *G*

String said...

It's the coins, trust me - they have a mind of their own!