Friday, October 12, 2007

Movies I Should Be Excitied About, But I'm Not

1) Watchmen: For those who have never read the greatest comic miniseries ever penned, (you can buy it as a graphic novel,) Watchmen is the tale of middle aged ex-superheroes who were forced to retire by a politically correct government. So why have a bunch of twenty-somethings been cast in the leading roles? I'm sure the cold war theme (it was published in the 80s) will be changed. Yet another insightful, meaningful work of art will be "reimagined" by Hollywood and dumbed down to the level of those with the lowest IQs. As usual, author Alan Moore refuses to have anything to do with the project. Hmmm....

2) Atlas Shrugged: There are so many problems with this, I don't know where to begin. First of all, at 1100+ pages, the book really should have been adapted as a TV miniseries. Like most science fiction- sociological/philosophical or otherwise- the book is extremely dated by its technology; trains are essential to the plot, but they are no longer the lifeblood of the country. Hopefully, the film will be able to blend a futuristic vision with the era the book seems to be set in (the 1940s & 50s, I think.) As much of a hottie as she is, I'm not completely sold on Angelina Jolie as Dagny Taggert. I think Jennifer Connelly would have been a better choice, but that's just me.

3) Star Trek: A prequel to the classic 60's series, with "lookalikes" replacing the original cast. No, this is not a joke. All I have to say is... WHY? WHY? DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN, WHY??? CAN'T YOU SICK, TWISTED, CASH-COW MUTILATING BASTARDS LEAVE ANYTHING ALONE? MAY YOU ALL DIE AND YOUR ENTRAILS BE EATEN BY FIRE ANTS IN HELL FOR ALL ETERNITY!
(I think I was subtle on that one.)

TTFN
-Tony

3 comments:

Knitting Painter Woman said...

Therapeutic advice at no cost:
Trash the 'shoulds.'

Love what you love. Hate what you hate. It keeps things simple!

String said...

Knitting painter woman is right! MY GOD, Star Trek! Give me a break!

merlinprincesse said...

STAR TREK!?!?!?!??! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOO *snif*
I think I will go see it... :)