StatCounter

Monday, November 26, 2007

7 Simple Facts of Highly Boring People

As I said earlier, the lovely French Toast Girl (aka Elena) tagged me, so here are seven things I don't believe I've made public yet.

1) Aravis asks, "What (to you) is the most interesting thing about yourself which you think will be boring (to us)?"

Hmm... I suppose the fact that, when I can't sleep at night, I read Chick Tracts online on my Pocket PC & laugh myself into slumber. (In case you're confused, my philosophy on Chick Tracts- and religion in general for that matter- was best summed up by Jim Huger here.)

2) Anonymous asks, "What is your favourite spot to not think? (I know you never 'not think' but there must be a place or envirnoment you try - apart from sleeping in bed)"

On the subway. I can zone out & clear my mind in about a minute flat, if I can find a seat.

3) Craig J. Quack asks, "If you could snap your fingers (or wiggle your nose or wave your wand [although that could get you arrested if you did it in public]) and one of your long-gestating projects would be finished and exactly the way you always imagined it, which one would you want it be?"

I suppose a very depressing sci-fi book I've temporarily titled "N." I have a begining, a middle, and and end in three different files, none of which quite link up. I have to take the time to write a coherent outline that works out the best of them all, and make it work. The best thing about re-reading it is a) I can see how bad some of it is (which means I've improved,) b) I can clearly tell whose work I was reading at the various times I worked on it & how it influenced the styles, and c) that it all is quite salvageable, if I'd just get down to it!

Now I have to think of things on my own:

4) I have a photographic memory that only remembers useless facts. For example, Jen was wearing a light blue cotton blouse on our first date.

5) I used to have very concrete thoughts and beliefs about the world and myself. Somewhere in the last ten years, all of that was turned on its head. Now, all I can honestly say, in the words of Socrates, is that "All I know is I know nothing."

6) I know all the words to the five longest songs in existence: "Alice's Restaurant,""American Pie," "Taxi," "We Will All Go Together When We Go," and "The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota." (I would have included "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," but most of that is instrumental.)

7) I completed the entire game of Riven without having to look up a single hint! (Sorry, I couldn't think of anything else.)

If there's anything else you're dying to know, please feel free to comment!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Name three useless facts you remember with your photographic memory from when you were in infants school :)

Tony LaRocca said...

I'm not sure what "infant school" is- when you're 3-5, in the US, your parents can send you to "Pre-k," though when I was that age it was called "Nursery school." Here's three things I remember:

1) We were sitting around, reciting a rhyme about traffic lights. Someone kept calling out another kid's name, and the teacher made us stop until the kid who had been calling out the name 'fessed up.

2) After school one day, my mother took me fishing in a brook by our house with a toy fishing rod she had bought at McCrory's (I don't even know if they're around anymore.) She didn't want to go digging for worms, so we used sliced salami as bait. As the fish weren't to fond of deli meats, we didn't catch anything that day.

3) We got a book from the library called "Noisy Nora" (which Amazon tells me is by Rosemary Wells.) There was a tape of someone reading it. One side had a nice woman reading it with sweet music playing in the back ground and sound effects. The other side had a man with a deep voice reading it. One time my parents put on the "man side" and for some reason I freaked out. They quickly put on the nice side and all was well. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

HAHHAAAA, thanks Tony! It's funny the odd bits we remember. Infants is K to 3 here but Kindergarten is before-hand. 1)I remember I hated vegemite and lettuce sandwiches because the lettuce had gone soggy by lunchtime in the heat. When three, my Kindy teacher MADE me swallow my whole sandwich which I kept dry reaching back up! 2)Also, a boy in K at school pulled a whole tuft of hair off another kids head, I can still clearly see the huge amount of hair in the boy's hand! 3)Remeber making a macoroni necklace when dropped off to the WRONG classroom in Kindergarten when also 3. I sat in the same chair and made necklaces all day not knowing where I was! I blame Mum for that one! Hhehhee.

Tony LaRocca said...

"I said, 'Do you speak-a-my language?'/ But he just smiled, & gave me a Vegemite sandwich./ And he said..." :)