Thursday, November 08, 2007

Happy Birthday to Me...

Here I am, at the ripe old age of 35. (Scroll down to see the awesome Dalek cake my mommy made for me!) Where did the time go? To quote Pink Floyd, "And then one day you find/ 10 years have got behind you..." Is it time for a change? It's certainly time to finish one of my goddamn books, already. The thing is, I can't decide if I want to shave my beard off or not. Some days I say I'm tired of it, some day I say, "The beard is me." (If you're a Kids in the Hall fan, you know the power of beards.) What significance it has, I know not. I figure I'm half done with life, baring some accident, or cool cyborg advancement. They say in a few decades we'll be able to store our brains on a computer, but what good would that do me? I'd still be dead, there'd just be some backup of me, left to annoy my children and the future generations.

So what have I learned so far? You can't make someone love you, they do or they don't. You can't change anyone. Always be honest with yourself. Self esteem, by definition, can't come from anywhere except yourself. If you want to love yourself, do things you think deserve love. All organizations, be they political, religious, or union, exist primarily for the sake of the organization. There will always be schmucks who want to make themselves feel better by putting you down- don't let them get to you. Think whatever you want to think, feel whatever you want to feel- it's actions that count. Give your kids a break- when you get annoyed, you're probably worried more about them embarrassing you than weather they actually did something wrong. Don't believe that people never change- people change all the time. Clear you mind every now and then, and then listen to the voices in your head. Write down your dreams as soon as you wake up. If you don't make it happen, it never will happen. Newton's first law applies to people as well as objects. Money talks, bullshit sadly can get pretty far. What you take for granted, someone else would probably die for. Whatever you're afraid of probably isn't that bad. Finally, in the words of the great late Frank Zappa, "You are what you is, and that's all it is."

TTFN
-Tony

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU TONY!

Aravis said...

Happy Birthday Tony!

Although, being 2 years older than you, I have to disagree with the life half over part. *G*

I like your list of things you've learned. May you learn many, many more.

Craig J. said...

Happy birthday, man! Hope it was a good one. Save a piece of that Dalek cake for me.

isay (Marissa) said...

I am one day late Tony but not my wishes. I hope you had a nice birthday celebration and your wishes came true. Here's wishing you more cakes to blow and cheers to good health and more fun times with your family and friends.

merlinprincesse said...

Happy belated birthday, Tony! :) This is the nicest cake I ever saw!!! Dalek AND chocolate!!!!

Knitting Painter Woman said...

Many Happy Returns. You sound VERY philosophical For someone so young. Best wishes.

studio lolo said...

I'm sorry I missed your birthday! I like your philosophy on life. You're an old soul Tony.
How do I see that cake?