Friday, February 01, 2008

3D or not 3D?

On and off over the past few years, I've toyed with the idea of making an adventure game. Like all genres, adventure games range from creative, funny, and challenging, (Grim Fandango, Myst, Submachine, Day of the Tentacle, The 7th Guest, and Sam & Max,) to the horribly boring and downright insipid (Scratches.) So my goal is to make a game that's fun, just challenging enough, and doesn't take an eternity to make. In the end, I want to sell it online for about $5 a download.

Originally, I was going to make the game with 3D panoramas. The only problem is, when you do realistic detail, then people expect a realistic game. Doors should swing open. There should be animated transitions between shots. Characters should be realistically animated. As the game takes place in a house, I really don't need a fantastic level of realism. Also, nothing is more annoying when playing an adventure game than having to wait for transition after transition with slow creaking doors to get from room to room. Like Al Lowe's original Leisure Suit Larry games, or back in the 90s when Lucas Arts was more interested in making fun adventure games for the PC rather than Star Wars arcade games for the Playstation, I want the game's enjoyment to come from humor and an interesting storyline rather than how it looks.

Also, while I've already made models for half of the house, drawing the locations would get me done a hell of a lot quicker.

Anyway, here are two screenshots of the bedroom location. One is hand-drawn, one is CGI. Which kind of game would you prefer?


(Yes, it's based on the bedroom I had growing up in NJ)

TTFN
-Tony

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the first handrawn is more realistic, although wouldn't have posters of penguin sluts and a hairy chested transvestite hanging on my bedroom walls ...

Tony LaRocca said...

LOL It's actually a Musk Ox skull
http://www.skullsite.co.uk/Muskox/muskox.htm

I wanted something funny that sounded like a cheesy 80's hair metal band. My original idea was "Whores of Babylon" but apparently, there's a real band already called that...

Aravis said...

Honestly, I like the second one better. I would play the first one, but it would need to be in color. I don't need all of the realistic detail of the second, but somewhere in the middle would be nice. Cut back on the effects of the second a bit for faster loading times? Don't need all of the sound effects unless it's a necessary part of the clue?

Either way, if you create it, I'll play it!

Debbie Egizio said...

Sounds like a fun game. I wouldn't need any special visuals or sound effects. I grew up playing pong. Easily amused, I guess.

Thanks for your comment about my little sun guy image and I'm still crackin up about what you said on my IF 100% post.

french toast girl said...

Hand drawn! Hand drawn!

(so says someone who's seen that wood panelling in person.)

love, me