Thursday, March 27, 2008

Calling All Creationists

I've posted about the whole evolution vs. creation debate before. Recently, I came across this frightening video.



Now, this is going out to any creationists out there who feel the same way that the people touring the museum in the video do. It's something that honestly puzzles me that I'd like to know the answer to:

May I ask - why would it make God any less majestic if evolution were real? God gave us all brains to solve problems. Science is the exploration into how God's universe works. If it were true that all of God's creation evolved from primordial soup, wouldn't that make all of God's creation closer to each other and part of the same whole? Does knowing how fusion works make the sun and the stars any less beautiful? How does believing that creation is billions of years old as opposed to thousands make God any less powerful, or shake your faith in Him?

In fact, if God created evolution and if it were a constant factor in life, wouldn't that be proof that God has a constant hand in existence, rather than that he just put the world into motion?

I'm not trying to put anyone on the spot or start a flame war - you all have your beliefs and I respect them. (And again, I ask any commenters to do the same.) I've just never understood how using the brain God gave you to understand his creation rather than just taking it as read that what was written thousands of years ago is scientifically accurate could possibly shake your faith in Him or all of His glory.

TTFN
-Tony

11 comments:

Miz K said...

Someone else read their fark today, I see! (I'm guessing here...) Thanks for your comment on my squid!

Diana Evans said...

Hi Tony!!! It's been ages since I popped by....

I am still laughing at your Tina Turner song...very cute!!! your humour is the greatest....

you have some interesting points here...hmmmmmmmm makes one think...

Cheers,
Diana

Anonymous said...

Those poor kids are going to be so confused about what really is a fairy-tale etc. UNLESS they are are ALSO governed with too much fear about going to hell - which is also the idea of those blind guys in the museum. They are sadly victims themselves.

Frieda said...

Have you read Danish D'souza book, "what's so great about Christianity?"

It's a great book and in there he does write in detail why Christians should believe in Evolution? Actually Genisis makes a great case for Evolution

things get confusing when people try to politicize this issue

Rayne said...

That video is one of the saddest and scariest things I've seen in a long time.
I totally believe creation and evolution exist hand in hand. How much more wonderous to believe that God's design was so intelligent that it was able to evolve with its environment.
I wonder what those two men fear that they have to be so purposefully blind, and even force their skewed views on small children.

arxo said...

"...When challenged by a zealous Popperian to say how evolution could ever be falsified, J.B.S Haldane famously growled : 'Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian'..."

excerpt from Richard Dawkins "The God Dellusion"

I guess those guys in the museum believe that God, in all His might, may have hid some rabbit fossils somewhere too...or maybe Terry Prachett in his STRATA has something else to say about it...;-)

I have deep respect for every belief that a human being can have as long as - as the great GEORGE CARLIN said - HE KEEPS IT TO HIMSELF and does not try to force it to anybody else...and I also believe that we all - instead of preaching and catechizing - should teach BY EXAMPLE...

big topic Tony...big one...

Caroline said...

I'll continue with my own belief that beliefs are dangerous things!

Aravis said...

I have no comment to add to those above- some of my thoughts have already been expressed- however I like your question and the way you posed it. I would sincerely be interested in the response.

van dyke said...

Those two guys in the video, Billy Jack and Rusty Carter apparently don't understand that the bible ITSELF is an interpretation translated from ancient languages. Anyone who is familiar with translation from one language to another KNOWS that certain words, thoughts, ideas simply cannot find its literal counterpart from one language to the next. So, to which version of the bible do they ascribe? Who knows and who cares? It made me laugh a little when, in the video, the two bible thumpers admit that there are some holes in their timeline logic. Evolution and creation is NOT and either/or thing. I believe both can co-exist; but not with these two jerks pouring out confusing and unfounded rhetoric to innocent kids and deluded adults, just to make a buck. Makes me sad. Anyway, I agree with the questions you pose and your gracious and patient way you pose them.

String said...

Who said God's a HE?

arxo said...

heh, the comment from STRING above, reminded me an old joke :

'Houston can you read us? We discovered God and She is Black...'

;-)