StatCounter

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Leap Into Insomnia

Illustration Friday: Leap


I tried- I really tried - NOT to do a picture about a frog. Lots of things crossed my mind: Columbus jumping off the edge of the Earth, someone jumping off a bridge, Indiana Jones taking his "leap of faith" from the lion's mouth - then it hit me. Frogs are probably tired of this whole leap shtick as well. "Leap into learning" my ass. Joe destroyed that annoying leap-pad thing within a day. (For those who don't know, there's a whole "LeapFrog" educational toy franchise. If you're a parent, you're obligated to buy one for your kid, lest the other parents look upon you as neglectful.)

I made the mistake of going to bed early tonight. A few hours sleep, and I can't go back. I've been up since 1am, like you care. I don't feel so good. I had some Alka-Seltzer with aspirin in the back of the cabinet that I had Jen buy when I was hung over once upon a time. It's berry flavored. Is there anything more revolting than flavored Alka-Seltzer? Now I can't get the disgusting taste out of my mouth.

These days, I'm up all night, and then I sleep most of the day. Usually I work on my adventure game or write until about two am. I can't get anything done during the day because my wonderful kids want to spend time with me. They don't know any better. Why am I up talking to you when I could be sleeping next to my wife who loves me? Because I just lie there, until the anxiety grips my chest so tightly that I can't sleep. Then I get up and pace around the apartment in my shorts, muttering to myself like a homeless person for a few hours. When it gets warmer, I think I'll try it on the streets.

At least we get to spend this quality time together.

TTFN
-Tony

20 comments:

TCA said...

I wonder what happened to that hanged duck?

Tony LaRocca said...

Heh, I haven't worked on "Webby" in quite a while. Something else to do at 2am :)

studio lolo said...

This is the BEST take using frogs! I didn't draw them for this week, I already had that illo and couldn't resist the obvious. And if one of them has to go to the bathroom, ya know...it's the trickle down theory :-D
Tony, you need to start sleeping better. There are these natural tablets called "Quietude" found in many pharmacys. They're homeopathic, so our body makes this naturally anyway. These just give an extra boost of sleepy dust so we can nod off faster. Did you know that not sleeping well can raise our cortisol levels and make us more prone to type 2 diabetes? I'm just full of good news!
Nice to see you, sleepy or not.

steve said...

Haaa!! Love it Tony! best of luck with the sleep thing. I've had some messed up sleep patterns myself lately--makes the day feel like a drunken haze sometimes, ugh.

kian said...

thanks tony for your nice comment i liked your idiom ;)
I read this post and i wish you all the joys.

Aravis said...

Great illo. *G*

What's the anxiety about? Your back? Work? That science fiction will become contraband in a world gone mad? *G*

If you know what's causing your uneasiness, then you can work on it. Figure out what you can do about it, and leave the rest until there's something more you can do.

If you're really having trouble falling asleep, I can always send you some of my textbooks. Best cure ever.

Anonymous said...

Excellent drawings of a very pissed off frog Tony :)

Knitting Painter Woman said...

Nifty illo. Sorry about the anxiety/insomnia issues. I'm surprised Stephen King hasn't written something about that. Well, I spoke too soon about my computer. MotherBoard was martyred during a power outage Friday. DH bought replacement which had @#$%ing VISTA on it. We've reformated the whole thing (twice actually, and it wasn't "we" it was St. Husband all by himself) and it doesn't yet know how to talk to my scanner printer or the LAN/DSL connection (I'm using his to satisfy my blog addiction). It would have been 40 billable hours for a rent a geek. As it is, I think I'll get off with providing several hours of massage.
Wishing you well.

Tony LaRocca said...

knitter painter woman: "I'm surprised Stephen King hasn't written something about that."

Well, (cough) there was that 663 - page book called "Insomnia"...

:)

(Don't worry, it wasn't that great!)

the enigma said...

hehee--very nice. i hate stereotypes too.

Ars said...

I LOL'd.

Roberta said...

My sentiments frog sentiments exactly! And what about that Leap Frog anxiety!

Aww Tony...I hope you get some sleep soon!

Michael said...

Thanks for visiting...

Sometimes the obvious ideas are the ones that work the best. Me? I caught that frog the other day. I was sick of his "leaping"...

arxo said...

As someone who's blog started out with frogs (I don't know when they 'll back though), I can truly sympathize with your frog's attitude...and his comment!

If nothing works with your insomnia/anxiety try on some green pajamas and start leaping all over your living room...it works for me...

:-)

MIKE said...

haha yeh i used to work at kmart damn those leap frog toys with all there add-ons and spare game console bits. thanks for the comment, and ipods are good to bowl with, especially when you find them again next morning ;)

Jannie aka Chickengirl said...

YEAH! A frog that doesnt leap! Hee, I like, I like!

Gosh we sound like we have similar sleeping schedule. Good luck with that..its not been good with me. Its an uphill battle when you work at home.

ValGalArt said...

Excellent job on the frogs Tony! I am sad to hear you are stressed Tone, try to go for a run or walk than a nice hot bath.

van dyke said...

Nice job. Good twist at the end. Freaking frog language. Makes me laugh. Break the stereotype. I am so enjoying this. I like the unpredictablilty of it all. Sweet. Can't help you with your sleep issues. I am up most nights myself. Reading. Drawing. Thinking about what to draw next. Good luck.

Jennifer Blake said...

hey tony... nice solution to the frog problem.. let it The frog just talk it out...

janie said...

funny fed up frog
Do you need me to make you a comfy cosy nightgown:)
Or you could try Valerian tea before bed.