StatCounter

Monday, March 03, 2008

A "Prisoner" of the Daddy Loop

Recently, my sister Mary (the blogless one) and I had a conversation how we are turning into our father. Specifically - as much as it annoyed us when we were kids - we've both taken to talking back to commercials. But I've recently taken on another of my father's traits - pointing out morals in tv shows. When I was an adolescent, my father used to constantly point out how Kirk and Spock never lost their cool on Star Trek. (Bones would lose it all the time, of course. "Damn it, Jim!") Lately, I've been getting Joe into The Prisoner. ("I am not a number, I am a free man!" for you Iron Maiden fans.) And like my father, I find myself pointing out attributes in Number Six that I want him to have - and wish I had myself. (Of course, as a daddy, I have to pretend I already HAVE these qualities.) "See how he never ever gives up?" I say. "See how they want him to conform and stop thinking for himself? See how they want to make him afraid? See how they want to make him feel guilty? Because when you feel that way, you won't stand up for yourself." I don't think it annoys him. Give him a few years. Then when he grows up he can do it to his kids. As the 2000 Year Old Man said, "We mock what we are to become."

Be seeing you
-Tony

PS - May I add my displeasure at the way the A&E DVDs of The Prisoner milk the fans for every dollar they can get? 17 episodes over 10 DVDs means an average of less than two episodes per DVD. Hell, that's less than an average of 1 & 3/4 of an episode! Have some shame, fellas!

6 comments:

Knitting Painter Woman said...

If you'd rather be a therapist than your father, you can always ask your co-viewers (especially offspring), "How do you feel about that?" or "What do you think of that behavior?" Worked for me. My kids are philosophical AND ethical. Color me proud.

Tony LaRocca said...

Good idea :)

ValGalArt said...

haha this is funny and true! i enjoyed kpw's comment as well!

Andrea said...

So true and sometimes disturbing. Yours seems like a fairly health trait to have inherited ... many of mine are not.

Aravis said...

Ah, those startling- and sometimes horrifying- moments when we realized we've just sounded or behaved precisely as our parents have done...

Pat Angello said...

I love some of my dad's traits. Sure we roll our eyes every time he tells a corny joke (see those birds flying in a 'V'? Notice how one side is longer than the other? Ya know why that is? Because there are more birds on that side...) or when he sees a bunch of hay on the back of a truck and yells, "Hey!" or when he sees a graveyard and says everyone is dying to get in there, or the growing arm trick, the lazy eye trick, the leaning trick, the gibberish speak... My son doesn't stand a chance!