StatCounter

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Remembering Rose

Sorry I haven't been on in a while - things have been a bit hectic over here.

Jen's grandmother passed on last week, at the age of 83. The cancer that started out as a small lump in her breast earlier this year spread throughout her body. She was loved and will be missed dearly.

It's rather hard on Joe as this is his first experience with death. I've tried to answer his questions as honestly as I can:

Q: Why do people die?
A: Because if they didn't, and people kept having babies, we would run out of space. Also, people would be so old their bodies wouldn't work right anymore. Who knows, by the time you're 80, they may have changed all that.

Q: What's it like after you die?
A: I don't know, I never died before.

Q: Why do they close your eyes when you die?
A: What would you care? All you would see is the inside of a box anyway. (This, of course, was NOT a good answer to tell a kid!)

Q: Is there a hell?
A: I don't think so. I don't think God created us to be alive for a little time just so he could torture us forever if we didn't do what certain people told us to.

Q: Why do souls go to heaven but not bodies?
A: It's probably like when you're dreaming. If you dream you're in school, you can talk to your friends and play, but your body is still in its bed.

Q: I wish Great Grandma was still here.
A: (thinking to myself: "Well, technically, she always has and always will occupy a time/space position, it's just that human brains perceive time as flowing in a single direction..." Spoken aloud:) "Yeah, me too."

Rest in peace, Rose. Wish you were still here.



TTFN
-Tony

8 comments:

Rayne said...

I love your answer to why souls go to heaven and not bodies.

Knitting Painter Woman said...

I think what you said was exactly right. Your son knows you'll be as honest, kind and open with him as you know how. Much better than some "so-called 'right' answer." My sympathies to Jen and Joe.. and anyone in your immediate circle who is jolted by this reminder of mortality and intrusion of loss.

ValGalArt said...

aaaahhh you did good Tony!

Keith Ryan said...

I think you did a great job explaining a tough subject to somone so young. I haven't had to do that yet with my kids, but I hope I'll do as well as you did.

-Keith

Tony LaRocca said...

Keith - I remember when we were in the Army & you asked me if I'd be happy if, when I die, I wake up inside of my own TARDIS. I'm still holding out hope :)

ChristyMarcusLitster said...

I cannot believe that I forgot about you Tony! I haven't blogged in FOREVER!

I am really sorry to hear about your and your families loss! It's a very hard thing for everyone, especially children. I think you did a good job of explaining it to poor little Joe.

I got married last December. My grandfather (who was more like my father since my bio dad is awol) passed away three days before my wedding. It was super hard and my niece, who is 9, had a hard time understanding the whole thing. It was super hard to be there for her when I was a big mess of devastation and elation (because I was getting married only a few days later). I think that I did an okay job of trying to explain it to her (for some reason she takes my word over anyone's) but really wish that I had a chance to read this before hand... probably would have made the explaining a little easier!

Caroline said...

Sorry to hear of your loss. Your answers to Joe were very good. Very, very good.

Aravis said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Rose, and your answers were wonderful.