Wednesday, April 16, 2008

When All the World's Failings are My Fault...

Illustration Friday: Fail

No matter how hard he tried, Bob just couldn't hold himself together.

As the title says, there are no faults in the world, it's just me:

According to Elton John, it's not that Hillary Clinton is divisive, (even within her own party,) power hungry, fake, and hasn't done one damn thing for New York since she carpetbagged her way into the senate, it's that I'm a "misogynist."

According to Barbara Walters, the reason that I don't watch Katie Couric on CBS news is not because I live in the 21st century and want to read my news instantly online rather than wait on commercial television, it's that I'm "not ready for a woman."

It wasn't that the last episode of The Sopranos was a cop-out and lazy writing masquerading as art, it's that I "just don't get it."

It's not that illegal immigration has caused our cities to be overpopulated, creates a slave class that competes with minimum wage-working citizens, or drains a system that tax-payers have contributed to, it's that I'm a "racist."

It's not that history suggests that an early withdrawal from Iraq will cause another slaughter as it did at the end of Desert Storm or the Vietnam war, it's that I'm a "warmonger."

Feel free to add your own

TTFN
-Tony

15 comments:

Bambinoboom said...

oh great draw!!!

steve said...

Great drawing Tony, and thought-provoking write up. I feel like this guy most mornings upon waking up. As for the Iraq war, in my opinion, we should have never have gone to Iraq--we basically went after the wrong targets and now it's a catch 22, as far as how to go about dealing with the colossal mess that ol' GW jr has put us in. I think, with many of the subjects you hit on here, it's such a swampy gray area--the answers aren't as concrete as we'd prefer them to be.

Caroline said...

Has it really taken until now for women to present the news in the US? Gosh!

Caroline said...

Oh and I was so surprised by that I forgot to say what a great drawing you did.

And this new word veri is great:

iceyment

but blogger disagreed and refused to accept it and its new offering sounds rather rude:

horxb

Tony LaRocca said...

Steve - The question sadly remains - what do we do now? Perhaps it will be easier on a new administration who can claim their inheriting the problems of the previous one.

Caroline - We have lots of women reading the news, (I miss ogling Lucy Noland,) but the CBS evening news was always more about the anchors than the news. There have only been a handful since 1948 - most famously Walter Cronkite for almost 20 years, and Dan Rather for 25.

Maybe you could loan us Charlotte Green's voice? :D

Anonymous said...

It's good to see your art again Tony! You're looking especially down on yourself; put on a brave face ;)

ValGalArt said...

amazing image and i must be a lot of those things too. I am reminded the other day that my work is creative, unique and marketable in an arena I have wanted to work in for a very long time but that people only want to spend 99 cents. They want products to be made in the USA with the quality but they want prices from China. I'm faklempt! You always have interesting posts Tony, I was just thinking about the Sopranos ending myself as they are showing the episodes on A&E and how the creator says Tony did die at the end... Why did he take us all the way down this road and end it like this?

doris said...

this is a powerful image - what a great way of illustrating 'fail'

Jeff G said...

Thanks for keeping The Incredible Melting Man alive - love him.

soulbrush said...

love this drawing, its so picasso ish, it's so me when things go awry. is it still your ear problem? hey, your son looks just like you...cute boy.
and i love that word valgalart- vaklempt, haven't heard it in years....

Bee said...

Great drawing and the perfect support for your rant! Really like the Penn & Teller clip below, thanks for posting it.

merlinprincesse said...

Your drawing is frightening moi... And your future ex-president is too... But I'm only a poor lonesome Canadian girl... ;o) *My Prime Minister is not so good too*

FRAN said...

Love it!

Ellen said...

I find that capturing emotion on paper is one of the most difficult of tasks at times. You have captured the theme to a "T!" Excellent job!

Rayne said...

Great drawing. I love how his face is all melty and distressed. Totally expresses how I feel on drugged up Fridays.
Here's something I'm wondering about.
All women are supposedly supposed to vote for Hilary because she's a woman. I don't want to vote for her because she's a thief, and a whole bunch of other things. She never did explain what she did with that stuff she stole from the white house when her husband left office.
Anyway...so, does it make me a traitor to my gender for not voting for her?