StatCounter

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Please Explain it to Me

As someone who bought a copy of Blue Oyster Cult's Agents of Fortune, when he was 12, and a fan of SNL in the 70's and 80's back when... well, we don't need to get into it - you know. Anyway, as someone who enjoys comedy and classic rock, I have one question, a question that I really would like answered before I die:

What the hell is up with the cowbell sketch?

Honestly. I just don't see how the fact that there's a cowbell in "Don't Fear the Reaper" warrants a five minute sketch, much less one that many consider a "classic." So many people think this is hysterical, and I just don't get it.

Please, please, will someone explain it to me?

TTFN
-Tony

2 comments:

Knitting Painter Woman said...

From Wikipedia: A fetish (from French fétiche; from Portuguese feitiço; from Latin facticius, "artificial" and facere, "to make") is an object believed to have supernatural powers, or in particular a man-made object that has power over others. Essentially, fetishism is the attribution of inherent value or powers to an object.

The concept was coined by Charles de Brosses in 1757, while comparing West African religion to the magical aspects of Ancient Egyptian religion. Later, Auguste Comte used the concept to apply an evolution theory to religion. In Compte's theory of the evolution of religion, he proposed that fetishism is the earliest (most primitive) stage, followed by the stages of polytheism and monotheism.
Blood is often considered a particularly powerful fetish or ingredient in fetishes. In addition to blood, other objects and substances, such as bones, fur, claws, feathers, water from certain places, certain types of plants and wood are common fetishes in the traditions of cultures worldwide.
And Cowbells?

Why? Why not?!!

ChristyMarcusLitster said...

I honestly have NO CLUE what you are talking about - however, I think I need to make my way over to youtube to find out....

however, as a true classic rock fan.. I have one thing to say - cowbell was a truly a pivotal instrument in classic rock history.. maybe not so much as Dark Side of the Moon or Sgt. Pepper's but still... like honestly.