Monday, June 23, 2008

RIP, George

Photo of the Yesterday: A Flushing squirrel looking for his stash.


As I'm sure most of you know already, George Carlin - one of the greatest comedians of all time - died on Sunday. Jen and I had the pleasure of seeing him perform this past December. There are many different types of comedy: there is the "we can all relate to it" comedy of Bill Cosby, the subtle word play of Emo Philips, the intellectual comedy of Monty Python, the muti-layers/meanings comedy of the Firesign Theatre... the list goes on and on. George Carlin's forte was brutal, intelligent, logical honesty that cut through lies and ideologies - as referenced by the title of his final show, (It's All Bullshit, and) It's Bad for Ya.

Here's one of my favorite clips of George's "Religion is Bullshit." Enjoy.


Rest in peace, George. Wherever it is you wanted to go, I hope you got there. Thanks for everything.

TTFN
-Tony

2 comments:

Aravis said...

I've felt sad about this all day, like something more than simply the man died. As you say, he cut through the crap, was brutally honest and made us laugh while he was doing it. He made me think while he made me laugh.

He's going to be missed.

Rayne said...

It rocked my whole day yesterday. He is one of those people that just isn't supposed to die. We needed him.