StatCounter

Thursday, July 10, 2008

"He Who Writes On Bathroom Walls..."

Photo of the Yesterday: Graffiti in the men's room.

"He who writes on bathroom walls,
Rolls his crap in little balls.
You who read these words of wit,
Eat those little balls of shit!"
-Anonymous Americana occasionally found in men's room stalls.


My grandfather was fond of saying that cursing shows the world that you are too stupid to express your thoughts and emotions any other way. Of course, I'm talking about a man who had no problem saying "go shit in your hat" repeatedly in front of a five-year-old, (or speculating to said five year old about Mr. Rogers's sexual orientation, for that matter,) but I digress. The point is, whenever I see "obscene" graffiti, I find myself thinking on more or less the same lines: not only does the artist obviously venerate genitalia, (male & female,) but for some reason he feels the need to proudly declare his obsession to the world. At any rate, in the spirit of religious diversity, it's refreshing to see that phallic idol worship is still alive and well in bathrooms across the country.

TTFN
-Tony

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well! I'm very pleased that's Anonymous Americana and not just plain Anonymous! EWWWW ;)

Aravis said...

I've heard your grandfather's saying before, and tend to agree.

(says the woman who swears like a trooper when angry)

I tend to think of teenagers when I see stuff like this, or people who never outgrew the mental age of a teenager. Sad really.

But, as you say, I imagine it will always be alive and well.

In the woman's room, it's usually either declarations of love, or some slam against another woman, occasionally with a retort from said woman. High school much?

Knitting Painter Woman said...

What is the denominational name of phallus worshipers? Is the phallus their God?

Tony LaRocca said...

KPW - There's a long history of phallic idols crafted in worship to fertility gods and goddesses, from Pan to Venus. Ancient cultures thought that as genitalia were the parts of the body that gave life, the gods and goddesses must have rather large naughty bits. Graffiti, on the other hand, seems to be done in anger. I don't know. I guess "Phallicism" is a good name for the gods, and "Bosomism" is a good one for goddesses :)