Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Alpha Dogs Howling at the Moon


Picture of the Day: The World Financial Center in downtown Manhattan, as seen across the World Trade Center construction site, (with a moon!) at 7am.

Today's Novel Progress: 854 words. Joseph gets interrogated by the cops. I have a handful of policemen in my family, but no detectives to ask for help. I want the scene to be realistic, but like 99.9% of Americans, all I know of interrigations is from movies & TV. I'm trying hard not to write clich├ęs. It's all going in an odd direction, different than the one I envisioned. But I guess this is the better one, because it's the one that's writing itself. Lorraine (Joe's wife) is showing a little chutzpah rather than just being there. Good.

God, I'm tired. I need to go to bed early if I'm going to do this writing at 4am schtick. Mandy's throwing tantrums, I think it's because she's unable to express herself. (Although five, she's verbally about three.) Some young bright lad with an inferiority complex pulled the chair out from under Joe as he was sitting down in class yesterday. Oh, to be able to pull a "Freaky Friday" for a day! Either way, the poor kid is going to have learn to deal with those wired to act in such a way. Once, in the army, a schmuck who routinely bothered me squirted his shoe-wax on me while I was taking off my boots, much to the amusement of his friends. I took a boot in hand and smashed his fingers with it, breaking two of them. Afterward, I was shitting bricks, afraid that I was going to be arrested, but the idiot told the drill sergeant that he was moving a locker and it fell on him. Then he spent the next few weeks following me around like a lost puppy dog, wanting to be my friend. I kept telling him to fuck off, which made him even nicer to me for some unfathomable reason. I'm not suggesting I would ever want Joe to hurt anyone - he's the sweetest kid in the world and I love him the way he is - but such jackasses have always baffled me. Though the construction industry is mostly full of decent guys, every once in a blue moon I'll run into one of them on the job: an asshole who thinks he can win social points by teasing me like we're in grade school until I suddenly flip into my "closet psycho on the edge" routine. Then they back down and act like they want to be best friends while all the while I'm terrified of what would happen if they took a swing at me. Seriously - I'm in shape, but it's a Weeble shape. Either way, the whole alpha-male thing is just beyond me.

TTFN
Tony

5 comments:

pta lady said...

What a nicer world it would be without these "alpha dogs". I hope Joe likes his new school otherwise. I miss seeing him around school. He really was one of my favorite kids. As you can see, I finally figured out how to post ( I feel like such a dinosaur). Say hello for me.

- PTA Lady

Caroline said...

Do you think there is a non-violent way of handling such schmucks?

Rayne said...

I hate that our children have to learn how to deal with bullies. I've never understood that mentality, either.
I hope Joe doesn't have too many problems with that nasty little kid.

Aravis said...

"Weeble shape." Love it!

I hate when kids are mean. When my brother and sister were young, I used to want to go in and kick some ass on their behalf, conveniently overlooking the fact that I was in my late teens, early 20s. It's hard to let it be their battle; it hurts. Hope things get easier soon.

Tony LaRocca said...

pta - so glad to see you finally! You cared so much for all the kids, and Joe misses you all.

caroline - My latest trick: I try to figure out what the root of the person's emotional problems are, and then calmly explain to them that's probably why they have such an inferiority complex. If you hit it on the nose, the results are hysterical.

rayne - for better or for worse, we're part of the primate family, and that's the way some primates are wired to act. Sigh.

aravis - yeah, I dealt with my share of mean kids when I was young too. When he figures out how, he'll deal with it in his own way. Of course, it'll be better for him if its sooner than later, but what can you do?