Tuesday, September 09, 2008

A Cup Finish!


Photo of the Yesterday: A sculpture on the side of a building in the Financial District. I really wonder what that cherub is doing in that bowl.

Novel progress: 1117 words. I've broken the Fives Law! Pilgrim's kind are becoming more apparent to Joe. Ralph is really starting to crack. Something bad is coming. There's two ways to handle it, and I find myself liking the characters so much I want to choose the more timid choice. Of course, to do so would make a weaker story, so it's not going to go down that way. I'm just surprised I feel so much for them.

This morning, Opie & Anthony were discussing that great bane of the Caucasian male, Political Correctness. This prompted the usual discussion about how PC sucks, and how the phrase "Politically Incorrect" has become more of an advertising term then having any actual meaning. But it got me thinking - how did this happen? And what exactly IS happening? As near as I can give it a defenition, Political Correctness is the phenomenon where, in any exchange, the meaning of the words and intent of the speaker is solely defined by the imagination (or in some cases the deliberate intention) of the listener. The meaning of the words used or the intention of the speaker is irrellevant, and a rediculous pollitical empowerment has been given to the listener. I think that sums it up. Any ideas?

TTFN
-Tony

2 comments:

Caroline said...

As Lewis Carroll said in Through the looking glass:

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master - that's all.'

Aravis said...

The bookstore where I work has a few titles which begin with "The Politically Incorrect Guide to..." whatever.

Regarding your novel, I'm feeling sorry for those characters who seem to be doomed. Reminds me of the movie, Stranger than Fiction. *G*