Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Getting Back to Work

Today's progress: 985 words.

I've heard tell of people using their blogs as a sort of weight-watchers meeting to shed pounds. The idea is that if they make their progress public, they'll be shamed into making sure they don't slip. I've decided instead to use my blog to document something far more vulgar: novel writing.

I dusted off the most upbeat of my many unfinisheds and decided to give it an hour's attention every weekday. Because my job exhausts me too much to get any real work done at night, & my silly wife & kids want some company in the after-hours, that hour is from 4 to 5am.

The working title is Earth 2.0 though I'm sure that will change. The theme is ideologies & how they control people. I'll be updating my progress daily. However, I'm not going to give too much away, as I do want people to read the damn thing when it's done.

Thoughts on today's work:
Mainly a phone call between Ralph & Lynn. Most of it will possibly be cut if it doesn't prove essential. I'm worried that Ralph is taking center stage- he's supposed to be a secondary character. He was intended to be a contrast for Joseph (the protagonist.) I think the problem is Ralph comes with a lot of baggage & internal conflict, while Joseph is sure of himself and his conflict is more external. This is probably why the story ran out of steam in the first place. I don't want to go back and re-write my main character in the middle of the first draft - that will just create two train tracks that don't quite meet. I think I'll see where things go, now that I realize what the problem is & work it out in revision. Maybe Pilgrim (the antagonist) will gnaw away at his resolve...

As far as the phone call- I'm afraid Lynn will come across as a 1-dimensional sow. Oh well- she's a minor character and that's the way she's writing herself. It's not like I deliberately set out to put her down that way. I really should have stopped writing in the middle of the argument & picked up tomorrow morning in mid-stride.

Well, that's it for now. Stay tuned

TTFN
-Tony

4 comments:

Aravis said...

The fact that you can write coherently and let your characters develop themselves at that ungodly hour is impressive in and of itself.

Caroline said...

Are you sure you weren't dreaming this?

Rayne said...

I know you didn't ask, but...being a woman, and Irish to boot, I'm going to give you advice anyway.
Stop thinking, just write. Write until it's done. Let it flow, watch what happens, recognize that at this point you are just a conduit. When it's all done, then turn on the thinking. Just try it for a day or two and see what happens.

Tony LaRocca said...

Thanks for the advice & support all - rayne - trust me - at 4am I do no thinking whatsoever :) (The blogged rationalizing is written afterward on the subway ride.)