Thursday, September 25, 2008

Horray for Sanity!


Photo of the Yesterday: Sun peeking out from behind the clouds.

Today's Novel Progress: 747 words. I had to write using my Pocket PC on the subway, as poor Mandy was sick this morning. Blech. Puke everywhere.

Kudos for two signs of sanity in the digital age: the first is that Electronic Arts is being sued over it's draconian DRM in Spore - the same one it ruined Mass Effect for PC with. Sorry, folks, I understand you want to protect your product, but if I'm going to plunk down $50 for a game, then I own the goddamn game. I should be able to install it on my computer as many times as I like, as many years from now as I like, on as many different computers I own or ever will own. Hackers will find a way around anything, so the only people you're hurting & alienating are your legal customers. The second is that Jamie Thomas's (the woman who was fined $9250 per song that she had in a Kazaa folder) case has been declared a mistrial. Apparently, the judge finaly realized that he should not have instructed the jury that the record companies did not have to prove Thomas was actually distributing the songs she downloaded before fining her the price of a small house. (Can you imagine that - a judge actually instructing a jury that the plaintiff did not have to have proof?) Why the jury did not simply find her not guilty on the grounds that downloading twenty-four songs should not cary a penalty of $200,000 doallrs, I can't fathom. Hopefully the next one will have some common sense.

TTFN
-Tony

No comments: