Monday, October 27, 2008

Random Thoughts

Today's novel progress: 734 words.

God, what is the world coming to? Crazy women carving "B"s in their faces, mothers beating their kids up with pipes, kids being allowed to handle Uzis and accidentally shooting themselves - people, get a grip out there.

The current economic crisis reminds me of the one in Vonngeut's Galapagos, specifically the bit about how the world's resources had not changed, the amount of food in the world had not changed, just the imagined value of pieces of paper had changed.

When you vote next week, remember this quote from Robert Anton Wilson & Robert Shea's Illuminatus Trilogy:
"I am also puzzled," Sam Three Arrows said finally. "I worked, long ago, in New York City, in construction, like many young men of the Mohawk Nation. I found that whites were often like us, and I could not hate them one at a time. But they do not know the earth or love it. They do not speak from the heart, usually. They do not act from the heart. They are more like the actors on the movie screen. They play roles. And their leaders are not like our leaders. They are not chosen for virtue, but for their skill at playing roles. Whites have told me this, in plain words. They do not trust their leaders, and yet they follow them. When we do not trust a leader, he is finished. Then, also, the leaders of the whites have too much power. It is bad for a man to be obeyed too often. But the worst thing is what I have said about the heart. Their leaders have lost it and they have lost mercy. They speak from somewhere else. They act from somewhere else. But from where? Like you, I do not know. It is, I think, a kind of insanity." He looked at Hagbard and added politely. "Some are different."

TTFN
-Tony

6 comments:

french toast girl said...

Carving B's in their faces? I missed that story.

Tony LaRocca said...

A McCain volunteer said that she was getting money out of an ATM when "some black guy" robbed her. When he saw she had a McCain bumper sticker, she said he then carved a "B" (for Barak) into her cheek with a knife. She later, under police questioning, admitted she made it all up herself. A bit disturbed, I'm thinking.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/261534

Loni Edwards said...

I remember my husband reading Robert Anton Wilson in college and our discussions of it. It was very thought provoking for both of us. I can't believe election day is almost here! I am so excited! Obama has given me new hope for our great nation. And I've never been so passionate about a candidate or an election before. I am just so thankful to be able to be a part of history making.

Loni Edwards said...

btw, maybe I was gushing a smidge above, as I am not sure who you're voting for Tony, but I hope I didn't offend you by posting a love fest about Obama on your blog. I just found it refreshing to find some other artist's blog who's political thoughts also inspire their posts. Thank you for your honesty in your posts.

Tony LaRocca said...

LOL No, not at all. I like Obama. The only thing I really don't like is how the media rams him down my throat 24/7. Even if I like a candidate, I'm not fond of propaganda. So by all means, gush away :)

Aravis said...

I love that quote.