StatCounter

Friday, November 07, 2008

Confusion Say...

Today's novel progress 740 words.

I've been thinking about what I said yesterday, and then it hit me: I know life is beautiful, and we should be thankful, etc. etc. etc. But with so many people in therapy and taking medication, or committing suicide, or self-medicating themselves with (illegal) drugs, alcohol, food, sex, etc., or needing to constantly distract themselves with games, books, television, the internet, or whatever - surely there must be something really, really wrong with this thing we call life. If only I had it in me to be truly zen, to not want anything, to just live in the present and not worry about the past or the fututre, to just accept that everything is just the way it's supposed to be, and that nothing should be any other way.

Happy birthday to me tomorrow!

TTFN
-Tony

7 comments:

Jen said...

Happy Birthday my beloved <3

french toast girl said...

I don't think it's life itself that's stressful, it's society. I don't think we were meant to live with so much noise, input, pollution, demands... it's a tradeoff. It's having the pressure put on you to behave and look and act a certain way. I do think that serenity and self-acceptance comes from within, but going off and living in the middle of the woods for a while couldn't hurt either.

(And ah-be-boy-day to you - you will be serenaded tomorrow.)

love, me

Craig J. said...

Happy birthday to you today!

Eddie said...

Happy Birthday from someone who IS in therapy and is medicated and no longer medicating herself or trying to commit suicide! :O) (I said commiting suicide in my previous comment so therefore I deleted because I haven't commited suicided, I am still here.)

Knitting Painter Woman said...

Happy Birthday!
As long as one is alive, one has the mysterious anticipation of "What Next?" I hope you have lots of fun, fun surprises, and wonderful loving (both given and received) in the years to come.
Cheers.

Tony LaRocca said...

Thank you all for your birthday wishes.

Eddie - I am glad you're feeling better, and that medications are helping you. It's just that emotions are like a sixth sense. Like physical pain, they let us know when something is wrong. And I sometimes wonder if we wouldn't make life the insane, fast-paced hell it is if it weren't so easy to turn off the warning bells by prescribed (or unprescribed) means.

Aravis said...

Happy belated birthday! You've made it through another year, and it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. *G*

It's not life that's messed up, it's us. Our society. Europeans, for example, don't have the incidences of depression that we have here.

Most other countries don't have the luxury of musing on how depressed they are; we're wealthy enough as a nation (current crisis notwithstanding) to pay attention to those things. They also don't stress themselves out about things the way we do. I think your sister has it right.