StatCounter

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Simulism Part II

A year ago, I posted a thought experiment on simulism. To keep it short, simulism is the idea that life as we know it may be just a computer simulation. Lately, I've been doing a bit of late-night-staring-at-the-ceiling pondering Zen riddles, such as, who - or what - exactly is "me." I've also been pondering - as I have in the past - the question of why human brains that have supposedly evolved for survival are so self-destructive. (Please see Kurt Vonnegut's novel Galapagos for further reading.) So, I've decided to do a mashup.

If you've ever played a role playing game - either in a fellow nerd's basement or online - you know how the system works: You play a character. When you want to do something, you roll a die or the computer picks a random number that decides if you are successful or not. That probability is influenced by your character's statistics. If you want to successfully smack someone upside the head with a morning star, your roll will be helped if you have high strength and agility statistics. Likewise, if you wish to seduce the Leslie Cohen Gollem, you need like twenty-five charisma points.

Now, what if the soul, or "me" or whatever is the player, and the mind is the character, with all of it's stats? You want to lose weight. g0d rolls the dice, and if your gluttony stat is too high, it probably won't happen. Or what about that living room that needs painting. If you're procrastination stat is up there, chances are it won't get done. No, I'm not trying to abdicate free will, but I've always been fascinated by how the human mind can fight itself tooth and nail against doing what it knows is in its best interest. Any thoughts?

TTFN
-Tony

PS - RIP, #6, and Khan Noonien Singh. One of my favorite heroes (click her for a previous Prisoner post) and villains, respectively. You will both be sorely missed.

3 comments:

Aravis said...

Have you been channeling me again? Because my living room needs to be painted and my procrastination stat is up there.

As long as you're up pondering simulism- which, I admit, I find interesting- you could always come up here and paint the LR for me. I'm just sayin'. *G*

String said...

Wow, interesting, I am just NOW reading something on this exact topic. David Icke's latest book which duplicates what you have said in the opening chapters! In fact, to the point, except uses a different gaming program...lol! He gets a bit further into the matrix and the 'game' we are presently playing...

Suzanne Casamento said...

I totally get what you're saying. I have to revise my novel but instead I'll scrub floors, blog, go for a hike, work out or whatever to avoid it.

Yes, when it comes to self sabotage, I'm an expert.