StatCounter

Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Zen of Cookie Monster

As we were waiting for a plane together, my sister Elena and I had an interesting conversation about life, acceptance, and philosophy. Suddenly it struck me:

C is for Cookie is one of the most Zen songs ever written.



The song is full of statements. Things are. C is for "cookie." A round cookie with one bite out of it looks like a C. The moon sometimes looks like a C, but you can't eat that. Cookie cookie cookie starts with C. There is acceptance of the way things are: "that's good enough for me." In fact, there is only one statement of judgment in the whole song: That although a doughnut with one bite out of it looks like a C, it's not as good as a cookie.

There are times in our lives when we want things to be different, and it hurts because they are not. In those times, we need to be accepting, and thankful for what we have. Everything is perfect the way it is. In these times of doubt, our mantra needs to become, "That's good enough for me."

TTFN
-Tony

4 comments:

String said...

Last night the moon was a big smile!

french toast girl said...

I still want to make us matching T shirts with that on it.

love, me

Aravis said...

How right you are! I always did love Cookie Monster. *G*

merlinprincesse said...

I think the Cookie Monster has always been the most appealing character of them all! :) At least for us, little North Americans! Even my late father and my mommy loved him! (The Swedish Chef was another one of our family's fave)... You are quite a philosopher... :)