StatCounter

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I'm sitting here in front of the computer, obviously. I keep wondering what life is supposed to hold for me, where I am going and what I'm supposed to be doing. I wish I could be more Zen and just accept that I am where I'm perfectly supposed to be, but here's the kicker- is wanting more out of life part of a perfect existence? If pain supposedly comes from wanting things, and if life is supposed to be perfect as-is, then isn't wanting things part of that perfection? Is my purpose at the moment to want? And in the end, does it matter? Does it matter that it matters?

From Babylon 5: Hour of the Wolf
G'Kar, (examining a poster of a spastic Daffy Duck) - "I was studying this image. Is it one of his household gods?"
Zack - "That's Daff- Yeah. Well, in a way I suppose it is. It's sort of the Egyptian god of Frustration."
G'Kar - "Most appropriate! Thank you!"

OK, too much caffeine.

I like to lie in bed in the darkness and talk to myself. I answer back in a number of voices - sometimes it's the great late Valentine Dyall, sometimes it's Sylvester McCoy, sometimes it's Leonard Nimoy, and sometimes it's my paternal grandfather. Usually my concerns boil down to Leonard Nimoy saying "You must have faith... that the universe will unfold as it should." (It should be pointed out here that Leonard Nimoy himself has said that his own inner monologue is usually a conversation with Spock. I hope he doesn't mind me stealing him for a bit now and then.)

So what voices are in your head? Come on and share!

TTFN
-Tony

3 comments:

String said...

'I'll get you my pretty!'

Aravis said...

First and foremost: my mother. And when I tell her this, she cringes and apologizes. *G*

The others are a bit random and boring. Although I suppose the fact that I hear so many voices should be troubling? *G*

Sara said...

i spent this whole afternoon working on a comic about this subject and then i stumbled onto this post! so, even though you don't know me, i have to share. :) my voices are: samuel beckett, michel foucault, jacques derrida, and if i'm lucky sometimes carl jung. the last is the only one who ever has anything uplifting to say. :)