Tuesday, January 12, 2010

IF: Confined

Illustration Friday: Confined

(Click image for larger resolution.)

This is something I had in my head that took a long time to realize, and I'm not sure if I've quite got it or not. I was working on a surreal cell animation once upon a time where an eye opened, and then the camera pulled back and it turned out it was inside of a cube, and then it pulled back more and it turned out to be in a glass of water. I have no idea what I did with the files. They be on the failed hard drive of no return.

It took me quite a long time to get the tablecloth to work right with 3DS Max's Reactor. At first the cloth was too small, and instead of draping over the tabletop it kept zinging off into space. Next, if I made the polygon count too high, it kept sliding off the table. Then I worked on all kinds of tapestries and ornamental cloths, including some with tassels on the end, before picking a simple white sheer fabric. A lot of time was spent fiddling around with the shadows and depth of field before I settled on what you see. I wasn't sure what to use for a background, because I wanted to give the impression the poor trapped soul was locked away somewhere, but I didn't want it to detract from the focus. I refracted some stars and clouds in the glass to make it stand out more. A little Photoshop tweaking here, a little diffuse glow there, and voila! Enjoy!

TTFN
-Tony

4 comments:

String said...

Really funny, I spent some time two days ago working on a similar pic, of a reflection in water in a wine glass...odd! Nice job!

Aravis said...

You put a lot of work into it and I've got to say it's effective. I felt a little constricted myself when I looked at it.

roberta baird said...

Very cool!

ValGalArt said...

WOW! amazing Tony! so it was as hard to make as it looks :D