Friday, July 09, 2010

Musings of a sun-broiled brain.

For those who don’t know, I’m finally back to work again – which is a wonderful thing. The only proverbial fly in the ointment is that I’m working outdoors in this miserable heat. At least I can work on my tan. My feet and arms feel like stretched-out rags. We had a last second emergency to take care of, involving digging and laying PVC in the ground. I’m filthy, sweaty, smelly, and my fingers are dry and stinging from the solvent. Shower here I come.

The sky is stacked with cumulus clouds that come and go, come and go. I love the sky like this - when there are layers and layers and shapes and the sun or moonlight (especially the moonlight) is refracted through the clouds creating shapes and halos. I wish I could lie in a field and stare at it all night, but wild coyotes might eat me.

How does a group of individual nerve cells form a consciousness? Are bee hives or ant colonies a complex organism? Sometimes I wish I was a fish in the darkness and crushing cold on the bottom of the ocean and I wouldn't have to move and I wouldn't make any perceptible ripples in the world and I wouldn't matter. I could just be.

I may have mentioned that I once wrote an algebra paper using Ohm's Law equations to plan city traffic like a circuit board. Energy was speed, the volume of cars was amps, and traffic lights were ohms. The difference is the cars are each being driven by an individual consciousness, while electrons are sucked through to the negative pole. It also doesn’t matter if one electron hits another.

If you’re driving in a crowded city or highway, do you partially become a member of a gestalt mentality?

I think it's time for a nap.

TTFN
-Tony

2 comments:

String said...

Brilliant post Tony, really love your stream of consciousness writing! ;-)

Aravis said...

I agree with String- this was almost poetic at times, and the rest of the time... you. *G*

You can lie on your back and watch the stars in our yard. Sure, we've got coyotes. But the bears and bobcats will chase them away along with any foxes or raccoons.